• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with egg laying?!

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys. My rehomed Grey has been with me for a few months now and this morning I found an egg in her cage. The prior owner had her for 5 years after the original owner passed. She told me that the grey started laying eggs out of no where right before I got her. When I got her I changed the entire cage around to make it better, as it had improper toys and perches and including removing mirrors that she had placed in there. Whenever the grey is w me I don’t even touch her and she starts to act as if she mating doing the clicking. I immediately put her away when she does that. I don’t touch her tummy or under the wings or anything like that so I don’t understand how this happened. So you guys have any advice. If she’s mating with a toy I have no idea which one because I’ve never seen her do it in front of me. Either way the behavior needs to stop but I have zero experience in egg laying so I need all the help I get can with this. Thanks

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
There are certain things that you can do. You can frequently change things in the cage, shorten the daylight, and (as a last resort) get a vet to gove her a hormone injection. But in my opinion, just make sure she's on a good, pelleted diet and keep an eye on her for signs of egg binding. A calcium supplement may also be necessary.
How does she act towards the eggs? Does she sit on them or guard them? Does she ignore them?

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
There are certain things that you can do. You can frequently change things in the cage, shorten the daylight, and (as a last resort) get a vet to gove her a hormone injection. But in my opinion, just make sure she's on a good, pelleted diet and keep an eye on her for signs of egg binding. A calcium supplement may also be necessary.
How does she act towards the eggs? Does she sit on them or guard them? Does she ignore them?
The egg was broken so Idk how she acts towards them, this was the first one I saw, the past owner said she took them out when she saw them...I'll try changing things around in the cage, I just changed it completely when I got her so everything is new. I always switch toys around every week with all the birds. Should I put her in a different spot away from the window?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I have read that you can get plastic eggs to replace them. She will then stop laying while she looks after her eggs and eventually lose interest. Then take them away.
It should stop the egg laying.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
The next time she lays an egg, assuming it's not broken, leave it in for a few days and see how she acts. If she sits on it, guards it, or lays more, then get dummy eggs or just let her sit on them, they won't be fertile anyway. If she's uninterested then just toss it.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
This hormonal season should pass. If it continues for more than a month or so, talk to your vet about whether she should get hormone-suppressing injections.