• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with Crusty Cere

Pensfan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Hey everyone,
Thanks in advance for checking this out and helping me answer a couple questions. Our little girl (Kreacher) is about 2 years old, lives in a large cage with a male budgie (Dobby) and a male cockatiel (Jabberwocky). They get along great although Kreacher tries to tail surf on Jabberwocky every now and then and he doesn't really appreciate it times.

The past few days we've noticed that our female's cere is getting crusty. It is a normally a dark tan and mostly smooth. However, it is looking pretty rough right now. Her eyes are bright and clear, she doesn't show any signs of being in pain, and there are no signs of the same crusty build up around her eyes or feet. She has also been laying down in an upside down coconut toy recently; she normally just plays in it and chews on it.

I am 99% sure that this is normal for breeding age/season but I just want to make sure our little girl is healthy. Any thoughts here on this or should we take her to our avian vet?

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My female looks like that a bit. I was going to take her to the vet to have it checked out. My groomer, who is a vet tech, suggested a tiny bit of coconut oil on cere once a day for a week and it looked better. Now its back looking crazy. Truthfully I am about to make a vet appointment again to reassure me its not an issue.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
when you said "Our little girl (Kreacher) is about 2 years old, lives in a large cage" I thought you were talking about a real little girl there for a while... Good to know you were talking about a bird :roflmao::roflmao:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
She has also been laying down in an upside down coconut toy recently; she normally just plays in it and chews on it.

If you are not trying to breed, it would be best to take anything 'nesty' out of the cage. (like the coconut hut).
She's very pretty!

Pensfan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. Sorry about the bad pictures, Kreacher never stands still for a second unless she is sleeping, so that was about as good as I could get in that moment haha

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think a female would need a male's proximity to mature... Why would they??

The don't. Females will naturally get a crusty cere during breeding season (spring and summer) and they don't need a male around for this to happen. they can even lay eggs with no male present. (Just remove them from the cage if this happens.)

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I read somewhere some females don't ever go into season?? Probably bad internet junk :bored::eek:. No biggie, I understand now :):D

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I read somewhere some females don't ever go into season?? Probably bad internet junk :bored::eek:. No biggie, I understand now :):D

And some never go OUT of breeding condition! Take my girl Candy for example. Her cere has been brown and crusty for her entire adult life and has never once faded back to blue. She gets a yearly check up at the vets, and everything is totally fine and nothing out of the ordinary. She's also never once laid an egg.
Budgies are complicated hormonal creatures. LOL