• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with choosing parrot

Tinsel

Moving in
Hi, my name is Hilde and I love animals. I have African land snails and soon Iam getting leopard geckos and a bird. I have a difficult time choosing my parrot for me and my family (2 adults and 2 small children)

We live and Semi-detached-duplex apartment and need a bird that not scream the neighbor out and I want a bird that can be a little Independent and play a bit for themselves but at the same time also like being around us and like having cuddle. I don't want a really nippy bird. I know all birds can be different and that they have different personalities

I have nailed down to blue headed pionus or an maximilian pionus. I also have looked on these (read) Meyers, lovebird, cockatiel, conure, and other Poicephalus species. I owned cockatiels, budgies, parrotlets and a lovebird, but I call myself a beginner parrot owner

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue. :)

I think a good species to consider is a 'tiel. You already have some experience with them, and they can be described as having those traits that you've put forward.
IMO, girl 'tiels are just about the sweetest bird around...you might have to deal with egg-laying, of course..;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think the Pis are absolutely amazing! They seem to be good sturdy birds who don't choose one person and aren't loud.

Tinsel

Moving in
Thank you, I have contact with a breeder who breeds cockatiels and the babies are hand fed or very well handled when leaving the breeder. I'm ok with egg laying, had some female budgies :)
The cockatiels I had before where boys, if I get a tiel, I choose a girl this time :)

The only thing about the cockatiels is the dust that the cockatiel have, they are a lot dustier than the other birds I have owned and to be honest I really want a little bigger bird this time, but I love tiels and I
will continue to consider one :)

Tinsel

Moving in
I think the Pis are absolutely amazing! They seem to be good sturdy birds who don't choose one person and aren't loud.
Thanks, I really like what i read about them. The only problem is that they are really hard to find :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
I hope you find the perfect bird for your family. I second the vote for a female tiel!

Tinsel

Moving in
Thanks :) I like the cockatiel, I may get one if I cant find a pionus and I know two good breeders I can buy from :)

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I want a bird that can be a little Independent and play a bit for themselves but at the same time also like being around us and like having cuddle. I don't want a really nippy bird.
Think you're looking for a cat :)

Seriously, every newbie ever says this, and it's like playing roulette whether you'll get these qualities out of a parrot. Some species can be generalized, but there are always individuals that break all of the rules.

All of us want a parrot like this - and very few of us actually have one, and it's not because we're bad owners or raised them wrong. I landed 1/3. Think about this for a while.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I have 2 'tiels now and have had more in the past. I think they are great birds but one of my favorites are Pois....red-bellies, Senegals, etc. If you can go and see some different types of birds up close that would be a good thing. You never know which bird will call to you and which one will choose you. Good luck.

Tinsel

Moving in
Think you're looking for a cat :)

Seriously, every newbie ever says this, and it's like playing roulette whether you'll get these qualities out of a parrot. Some species can be generalized, but there are always individuals that break all of the rules.

All of us want a parrot like this - and very few of us actually have one, and it's not because we're bad owners or raised them wrong. I landed 1/3. Think about this for a while.
I have thinked about this for almost 4 years now, done with thinkin haha And thats was why i vrote - I know all birds can be different and that they have different personalities, and I have owned lovebird and cockatiles so I know (almost) what I can expect

Tinsel

Moving in
I have thinked about this for almost 4 years now, done with thinkin haha And thats was why i vrote - I know all birds can be different and that they have different personalities, and I have owned lovebird and cockatiles so I know (almost) what I can expect[/QUOTE
And i have grown up with cats and aleays owned them

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome and good luck with your search.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tinsel

Moving in

I am getting a meyer parrot. The baby is ready in about a week and I'm very excited :)

The meyer is hand-fed and comes from the same breeder I considered buying pionus from and they think the baby is a
female and I am empty for names, I cant find one lol

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl

I am getting a meyer parrot. The baby is ready in about a week and I'm very excited :)

The meyer is hand-fed and comes from the same breeder I considered buying pionus from and they think the baby is a
female and I am empty for names, I cant find one lol
Congrats! Update with pictures!

I don't know why... but for names I'm thinking Tulip:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!