• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with African Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Hey all, a coworker of mine is looking too help his mother in law rehome one of her African Greys. From the few details I have, he's around 15 years old, previous breeder bird, and possibly needs medical attention. They are not willing to take it to a vet at this time. I will attach the pictures he sent to me. He thinks the bird may pluck, and says that the neck feathers have always been the color that they are. The grey is in his own cage and shares a room with another grey and a cockatoo, from what I've been told, as well as another smaller parrot. They are located in South Eastern PA. Can anyone help me to point them in the right direction? Also, they are asking a rehoming fee, but seem willing to work with someone from the conversation I had today.
Resized952018062895092232.jpg Resized952018062895092236.jpg Resized_20180628_092141.jpeg Resized_20180625_094631.jpeg

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he finds a nice home soon. A rescue may take him too if they can't find a home. I help with one in Pittsburgh (PEARL).

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What a sweet thing...he has that look of wisdom all Greys have...:heart:

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
I hope he finds a nice home soon. A rescue may take him too if they can't find a home. I help with one in Pittsburgh (PEARL).
I don't think they'd be willing to drive there, but I think there's something closer. It's about 6 hours to Pittsburgh from here. I really hope that whomever decides to take him in is willing to work with him. It sounds like the other birds get attention and this one does not because he's not as talkative or not as cuddly. I wish we had the space but I couldn't even quarantine him in our space at this point.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Awww! Such a cutie! Why do they think he needs medical attention? Is it just because of the picking? Not that all birds shouldn't go to the vet every year or so, but if they are just worried about the picking, while there can be medical reasons for it and that should be ruled out, it isn't uncommon for greys to pick. The red feathers that are growing back are probably turning color because they were plucked. You see that color change in plumage that is damaged a lot. Or he could just be a red factor. I really hope he finds a home. I have such a soft spot for these little guys!:)

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Awww! Such a cutie! Why do they think he needs medical attention? Is it just because of the picking? Not that all birds shouldn't go to the vet every year or so, but if they are just worried about the picking, while there can be medical reasons for it and that should be ruled out, it isn't uncommon for greys to pick. The red feathers that are growing back are probably turning color because they were plucked. You see that color change in plumage that is damaged a lot. Or he could just be a red factor. I really hope he finds a home. I have such a soft spot for these little guys!:)
He's constantly puffed up, and has never been to a vet to begin with. I know the contact that I have with the family is moving to Florida this month, so I don't know what will happen after he moves.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Feathered sanctuary is in Lancaster.

They are actually now inside That Pet Place. Since their move they have placed more birds in one month than they did last year.

They may be able to help.

I'll mention this to them, hopefully they are willing to let the bird get to a place where he can be loved and cared for with at the attention he deserves.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He's constantly puffed up, and has never been to a vet to begin with. I know the contact that I have with the family is moving to Florida this month, so I don't know what will happen after he moves.
I really hope he finds a good home!

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
Some greys have odd red feathers, it is part of the mutation that has allowed a few breeders to breed red African greys. It is also common in greys that pluck for a stray feather to grow back red. I have a few greys that came to me as chronic pluckers and now that some of the feathers have grown back they have a few stray red feathers.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Some greys have odd red feathers, it is part of the mutation that has allowed a few breeders to breed red African greys. It is also common in greys that pluck for a stray feather to grow back red. I have a few greys that came to me as chronic pluckers and now that some of the feathers have grown back they have a few stray red feathers.
Very true.

I think the "wild" stray red feathers give a Grey a certain amount of character..:)

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
If he does decide to travel a little further west to the Pittsburgh area I work with the same rescue as @sunnysmom, we'd be happy to help.
I'll mention it to him, hopefully they decide to let the bird go for a good home rather than hold out for a rehoming fee. It's unlikely they would be willing to drive 12 hours round trip to get to the rescue, but I will let them know it's an option. He thinks the cage alone is worth $500. I asked size but he didn't know. I guessed it's about 32" which puts cage price around $400 brand new, and that is not a new condition cage buy any means.

I just want this little guy to get the love and attention he deserves.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
Update: I was able to find him a home. I'll find out more details later, but the picture they sent this morning, oh my, he looks so much happier already! Thanks everyone for your help and support!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Update: I was able to find him a home. I'll find out more details later, but the picture they sent this morning, oh my, he looks so much happier already! Thanks everyone for your help and support!
Excellent news!

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He looks like a red factor Grey

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award