• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with a indian ring neck 15 week old

Whippet666

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
Hi i am new to this site so may i say hello i would like some help on how to tame my indian ring neck parrot i been told its male but want no for sure till it gets its ring i just would like some help and advice on how to tame my parrot i can get near cage i can put food in bit bird is a bit jumpy i been told take bird out cage in a towle and go to bathroom or a empty room hold bird in towle nicely so cant get bite and talk carmly and build bond i try feed him apple and am useing parrot premuim mix as well as parakeet seed mix any advice would be good thank you

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Where did you get this bird from? It can help to know this. Have you made the room your bird is in safe for flying and are the flight feathers cut? Please post a photo of the cage. Also what is your birds name as you are calling the bird "it"? Toweling a bird will not gain your trust. It will serve to create fear in the bird. @cassiesdad may be able to help you more than me.

Whippet666

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
I have got from a breeder and cage i can show pic of it on shop as i am not at home and my parrot is called geko my 2 year old named him and he has 3 wings clipped ethier side and room is safe to fly in as had parrot there befor

Whippet666

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
Thank you for that link lady jane and any advice would do i have had parrolets in past but my birds where tame befor i got them

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i been told take bird out cage in a towle and go to bathroomor a empty room hold bird in towle nicely so cant get bite and talk carmly and build bond

No, don´t do that.
You can´t force a relationship. Start by interacting with the bird while s/hes in their cage. Sit by the side and talk gently, offer little treats.

i try feed him apple and amuseing parrot premuim mix as well as parakeet seed mix
Are pellets available where you live?
Also offer some vegetables.

Welcome to the forum Adam.

Whippet666

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
My vet told me dont need pellets and they are but they are really expensive

Whippet666

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
I have tryed him with broccoli and coli flour and Brussels but did not touch he had a bit of apple he bi the dry chillis he loves sunflower seeds

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you have come here for help. It leads me to believe, you know you need to do more for your bird and you came looking for additional help. Thank you for thinking of your bird :fairy:

Vitamin rich fresh veggies are the best! Broccoli, cauliflower are wonderful options. Try adding more orange veggies: carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, etc. Mango are a good option for fruit. Feed all other fruit sparingly or as a treat.

Feeding Your Indian Ringneck - IndianRingneck.com
DIETARY ADVICE FOR ASIATIC PARROTS (INDIAN RINGNECKS, ALEXANDRINES ETC.) » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast
The Diet / Nutritional Needs of Ringneck Parrots | Beauty of Birds

Slow down on the sunflower seeds. Give them as a reward only. You can start by giving your bird a sunflower seed only when you approach the cage. You can't force a parrot relationship. It sounds like you are scaring the living day out of him/her.

Even though this video is of a finch, this is the approach you should use. Birds are prey animals so you need to understand the world through their eyes to really start a relationship. It needs to be a relationship built on trust. It takes time. Where she uses finch treat rewards, replace it with a sunflower seed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!