• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! whats wrong with my eclectus?

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
Hello,

So about 20 minutes ago my eclectus started kicking his foot against the floor / perch (wherever he walks and sits).
I looked at his foot and noticed a small cut at the bottom so i think he hurt himself a little.
his foot is also pretty warm compared to the other foot.
He also seems restless like he tries to fly away from his foot.
Other than that he looks and acts normal. he eats, plays and it still loud as always.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Is this a new behavior? Have you changed his food? I've heard that Eclectus need a special kind of food because they become allergic. The wrong food can cause strange behaviors. I';m not saying this is it and I'm sure Ekkie owners will have better info

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
I think he might be toe-tapping.
I noticed his other foot is not doing exactly that! and the other foot is still constantly kicking.
The only thing i can imagine is that he is eating pellets from my other bird that might cause this!
I'll keep the cages closed when they're out so he cannot get in and eat pellets, if that is the root of the problem.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Pellets can cause toe tapping and wing flipping for sure.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
If his foot is warm and you see a cut on it, I think you should clean it carefully and maybe treat it with some betadine, and keep an eye on it. The warmth sounds like possible infection. You could put some betadine on it, let it on for a couple minutes, then rinse it off. You could do this a couple times a day if needed.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
If his foot is warm and you see a cut on it, I think you should clean it carefully and maybe treat it with some betadine, and keep an eye on it. The warmth sounds like possible infection. You could put some betadine on it, let it on for a couple minutes, then rinse it off. You could do this a couple times a day if needed.
Thanks, i'll try it. see if i can get some of that stuff tomorrow!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
There are some Eclectus parrot that can have adverse reactions to certain foods. We do have pellets for Henry, but they are suitable for Eclectus. Artificial colouring and preservatives are not suitable for a Eclectus. We prefer to give Henry lots of fruit, veggies and leafy greens. I suggest that you keep a food diary and record what foods you give him, So if there is any adverse reactions, you can refer back to the food diary to see what foods you have fed him.