• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! WHAT PARROT SHOULD I GET!

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Hi I need help choosing what parrot I should get. My eyes are currently on Green Cheek Conures or Sun Conures, Cockatiels or Quakers. I have researched about them but I would like your opinions on this.
I want a parrot that is :
- laid back and calm but playful is good too
- not very fearful and is generally friendly (Yes, I know birds are all different and have different personalities :D )
- Not too large and expensive
- Is cuddly and affectionate
- Very Social
- Has a big personality and can live from 20-30 years

Drop down some parrot species I should research about or even get, Thanks!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I’m partial to GCCs. They’re quieter than their cousins the Sun. Isen is entertaining to watch even when not holding her. She spends 3/4 of her life upside down. They don’t get very large. Aren’t too expensive and live about 25 years. If you are wanting something a little bigger and more laid back I would suggest a Rüppel. They are unique, quiet, calm and friendly. They also live around 25-30y. I have included a pic of one. DFED038C-0DB8-45E9-8600-53A495973197.jpeg

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
There is no way to be sure no matter what species you pick that your bird will have any of the traits you listed. My advice is to read, read and read some more about different species and their care. Have you ever had a bird before? There is a section on Avian Avenue called "good, bad and ugly" about different species. Also read this BEFORE you decide to get a Parrot | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
MyBird x Birdhism | Birds of a Certain Feather

A fun little quiz which can be taken with a pinch of salted popcorn. You can also get a sample of the bird's natural calls [play this at loudest volume and imagine 20x louder for certain species!] to see if you're able to remain sane.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi I need help choosing what parrot I should get. My eyes are currently on Green Cheek Conures or Sun Conures, Cockatiels or Quakers. I have researched about them but I would like your opinions on this.
- not very fearful and is generally friendly (Yes, I know birds are all different and have different personalities :D )
- Very Social

All these "pre-requisites" you've listed are what every parrot owner wants. NOBODY starts out with a bird like that or just gets a bird like that. All these things are the "end result" of putting in the time and doing the work. This has nothing to do with species. It's all about what "you" bring to the table. Your husbandry skills. The environment you provide. The time and dedication you put into it. There is no shortcut. Do it well and you will achieve the bird you want. Do it badly and you will create a monster

Another big question here is are you an adult who is in charge of your own life who provides for yourself? Do you have a stable long term home to provide the kind of environment a parrot needs?

If you're a child then the standard advice applies.

You're very well spoken for such young person. You're no doubt very intelligent but one thing you do not have and can not have at your age is life experience. You can't possibly know how bumpy and twisted that road is until you've travelled on it for quite a while and that's once "you" are driving and not just along for the ride.

You have many, many years ahead of you to fulfill all kinds of dreams. You are but a child that is thinking of getting another child. Imagine if you were to get pregnant now or get a girl pregnant now (sorry I don't know if you are a boy or girl?) and had to become a parent at your age. It would be overwhelming and something you will need to deal with for the rest of your life. On top of that the "child" you are thinking of getting is never going to grow past the age of 3 and is "never" going to move out. This child is going to need as much space, time and enrichment as you do. Not just a cage.

Live some of your life first and get those all important experiences under your belt. Become independent, stable and have a much more defined path before you make this life time commitment. You are going to want to meet and share your life with a special person also. This bird will be a factor in that even happening. There is no rush to do this because you are so young.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know. A lot of us old farts do know because we've been there, done that.

You sound like a very committed person but there is no rush.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think the best way to decide it to meet some birds. Are there any rescues near you? A few things to consider- Sun conures are loud. You can play some you tube videos to see if the sound bothers you. Tiels are dusty. Some people are allergic to their dander. Quakers are not legal to own in every state. You need to make sure that they are permitted where you live. All of the birds you listed can make lovely pets. It really comes down to personal preference. :)

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
I don’t have experience with any of the birds except cockatiels. From what I know, GCC are a bit nippy and sun conures are very loud.

Cockatiels make great family pets. They’re extremely social, easy going and quirky. My ‘tiel is always desperate for any kind of attention lol. The only thing that people worry about is their dander, which some people can be allergic to. My own mom is allergic to any kind of dust but we get along fine. With proper cleaning and management, you can definately keep them.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
- Very Social

Any parrot is an every day long term commitment... Like saying " your getting married" !!!! Yes think of it in that term. Because that's exactly what it is.
That said, if I were to select for you based on your input, I'd go with a caique....they are a ball of fun and loveable....not loud birds generally. A clown per se.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I’m partial to GCCs. They’re quieter than their cousins the Sun. Isen is entertaining to watch even when not holding her. She spends 3/4 of her life upside down. They don’t get very large. Aren’t too expensive and live about 25 years. If you are wanting something a little bigger and more laid back I would suggest a Rüppel. They are unique, quiet, calm and friendly. They also live around 25-30y. I have included a pic of one. View attachment 298739
None of these exist in Canada , at least note in my province (state in USA) but he/she is a cutie!

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Any parrot is an every day long term commitment... Like saying " your getting married" !!!! Yes think of it in that term. Because that's exactly what it is.
That said, if I were to select for you based on your input, I'd go with a caique....they are a ball of fun and loveable....not loud birds generally. A clown per se.
I have heard many "bad" things about them. One saying their "will to play is just as strong as their will to do what they want" which apparently makes them a "bad" bird. I am putting "bad" in quotation marks because I don't entirely believe it but could you give me some insight on caiques and if they are easy or hard to train? I would highly appreciate it:bounce4:

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I don’t have experience with any of the birds except cockatiels. From what I know, GCC are a bit nippy and sun conures are very loud.

Cockatiels make great family pets. They’re extremely social, easy going and quirky. My ‘tiel is always desperate for any kind of attention lol. The only thing that people worry about is their dander, which some people can be allergic to. My own mom is allergic to any kind of dust but we get along fine. With proper cleaning and management, you can definately keep them.
I think my mom might be allergic and same for my sister too, so RIP to the idea of getting a cockatiel :extremeanger:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne