• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP- unhealthy feathers

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
Hello!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need help to figure out whats wrong with my budgie Maya, but first, little bit about her:
-She does not like human interaction but trusts me enough to let me feed her, have my hand around her, and let me carry her while she is perched on a dowel or stick
-she lost her tail and flight wings around August and September, 2017
-Her her flight feathers do grow back but fall off very small
-I got her in February 2017, with another little girl who was only a few weeks at the time

A little bit more about getting Maya...
The breeders weren't the best. Nicest way I can put it.
Small dirty cage. Too many birds in one. Catching birds with a terrifying net, I don't blame Maya for being skittish and I think she has come very far.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
These are some pictures I took today

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think she has a parasite or mite... she does go crazy flapping her wings and jerk her head to her back a lot, like she's trying to reach something.

Her cere is a whitish brown colour now

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
image2.jpeg
This was her cere 11/sept/2017

I've also caught her scratching her head on the bars and perches quite fast a few times

she has a few tail feathers with no fluff just the straw

She is inactive and will only play for a bit (unlike Sheeba who is crazy and has issues:bash:)

she over grooms herself, well not really... it's not plucking, more like she is trying to find something in her feathers... like m i t e s
:faint:

Since parasites and mites a contagious, you would expect Sheeba to lose flight feathers too, but no. I have however, noticed that Sheeba does lose some of her fluff her too, and you and see the white fluff underneath the space where her blue fluff was...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been bothering me forever and guilt is killing. She will lose balance and fall off her perch 2 times a day I've done all my research and am quite sure she is infected with feather mites, I want to help her and get an avian mite spray as soon as possible but I really don't want to harm her.

I have tried to get to an avian vet but my parents don't seem to be too keen on that. They said yes, but I am aware that avian vets are expensive (I understand) and it is my fault that I was careless to think budgies do not get sick when buying. However my birds or my parents are not to blame and if an avian vet is the last option, then I'll take it. Just want to see Maya flying like Sheeba ;(
IF YOU 100% KNOW THESE ARE MITES PLEASE LET ME KNOW

IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHATS CAUSING HER THIS TROUBLE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Attachments

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Take her to a vet. You should absolutely not be medicating her unless you know what’s wrong.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
She's most likely falling as she doesn't have a tail to balance herself.

Is she moulting, I see lots of pin feathers (these are feathers that are developing,the sheath protects them).

Go to your vets, when I took my budgies 3 out of 4 for a suspected infection in cost less then £30 (don't know that it dollars) the medication was cheaper than the consultation (plus it was emergency as it was a Sunday.

Please don't medicate your birds unless your vet tells you to as you can do more harm than good.

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your reply! I was having a hard time getting myself to buy the spray because I didn't want her to get worse. I plan to go next week as I will be picking up 2 new budgies on the 24th and I don't want them to get infected too. I'll try call the avian vets as soon as possible after that to get an appointment
:dance4:

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
I've read about that before, but never really conisdered it as I have never notice any signs of blood on Maya, I guess we'll see what the vet says

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
And Jas, I'll keep the new babies in my room until Maya and Sheeba are not infected. I'll be taking all four of them to the vet to make sure the babies are healthy and this doesn't repeat again. After all that is done, I'll slowly introduce them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If it’s pbfd it would be wrong to get new birds.

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
We're taking all the birds to the vet next week so we're going to find out what the problem is, hopefully not french moult.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I totally agree about not bringing in any new birds. French molt can take over an entire flock of budgies. You sound like a responsible young person so a vet visit with an accurate diagnosis and treatment is called for. I hope you read the information Monica gave you.

@Milo

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Oof feather issues are always a worry. Do the ones that fall out look pinched at the base? I don't think mites are the culprit here, something aside from scaly face just aren't that common in companion parrots.

To test for pbfd a blood sample will need to be sent to an outside lab. If it comes back positive they should be retested in 90 days. Unfortunately there is not a cure for it and the birds usually pass of a secondary infection because of the effects on the immune system. You're definitely doing the right thing taking the current birds into the vet.

I would NOT bring in any new birds until you know what's going on. If it is PBFD it is an incredibly hardy virus in the environment and it is especially dangerous to young birds.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that Maya will be OK and that it is not French Moult. Keep us updated.

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
Thank you to everyone that has replied, I am praying to god that Maya's case isn't french moult. I have made the decision to not buy new babies until we know Maya will not infect the new babies. I've read both of the websites and now know there is no cure to french moult and will spread in a flock. I have my fingers crossed that this is just feather mites.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
A very wise decision, putting the health of your original birds first is more important than getting new ones. Hopefully it's not French molt, good luck with the results and keep us posted.:)

Mocha

Meeting neighbors
Sheeba and Maya are great, I was getting new birds because Maya is a little grumpy and doesn't do well with hyper active Sheeba, so I wanted Sheeba to have a feathered bestfriend and Maya to not have sheeba jumping over her all the time. I'll keep everyone updated on her progress.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We love updates.