• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help to get a rescued African Grey out of China?

sarahkelly

Checking out the neighborhood
UPDATE: After months of trying I finally met the owner of the many parrots that I always hear in my neighborhood. She lives in the building next to mine. She is a wonderful Chinese lady with 15 different parrots, a collection of small local injured birds that she rescued, and 34 rescue cats. Yes, 34, not a typo! She bought an entire 4 bedroom apartment JUST for the pets. She and her human family live in the other apartment on the same floor. But the pets get the apartment with the sea view. She is a wonderful lady, passionate about animals. The birds live in a huge high-ceilinged room (cats live in a separate part of the home) that opens out onto a fenced-in balcony about 40m2. They all looked very healthy, and were obviously trusting of her, and comfortable around new people. She even has 1 male African Grey. She does not breed them or sell them. So the outcome of this visit was:

1) She put us in touch with THE parrot breeder of our province.
2) The breeder will search his database for the original owners. If the parrot came from a China breeder, he can find them. If original owners are found, and missing their bird, we will return Pepper to them.
3) If original owners not found, the breeder can help us get the documentation we need, and even help us get Pepper to Thailand.
4) Parrot neighbor lady is very happy to foster Pepper while we work on finding her original home, or moving her. We will take her there tomorrow.

It is heartbreaking to let Pepper go, even for a few months. But I feel so relieved, that even if I never get to take her to our new home, I'm confident she will be happy with the Parrot Lady of Shenzhen. :) We may just let her stay there if it seems a happier place for her, being in a large flock. And we can always go back and visit her. In the meantime, she will have a handsome boyfriend named Xiao Hui (Little Grey, in Chinese).

I'll let you know how the integration goes!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and good wishes.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It sounds as if you have a happy and yet a little sad continuation of Pepper's story. You might still be able to take her with you to Thailand one day but you know she is safe even if it isn't with your family. I'll keep you in my thoughts :angel1: and send you all the luck :fingerscrossed: :goodluck:possible for the best possible outcome. :grouphug: to you for taking care of and loving Pepper as you do.:hug9:

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
@SandraK I work for a Chinese company and have had my assistant make about a hundred calls already for this. China WILL NOT issue a CITES certificate for the bird. The wildlife authorities actually demand that I tell them where I live so they can come take her away. I will not. I don't imagine she would be taken care of.

But I cannot cross a border without the CITES. I won't smuggle her and risk having her confiscated and probably euthanized. So I think my only option is if I can obtain a CITES from another country/source.

How can I track breeder info? It is a closed band with letters and numbers. But it seems every band registry I find is quite regional.

I have already befriended my Chinese neighbors who own 12 parrots, including 1 African Grey, and my Pepper will go live with them if I really cannot get her out of the country. They are not breeders, just parrot enthusiasts who really care for their birds. They don't have any CITES, as they do not plan on breeding or selling or moving the birds.

I understand your pain and anguish.

Tinkerbell got all the papers but unfortunately at a time when absolutely no bird movements allowed at height of the bird flu scare on 2004.
You noticed even though I did not manage to get Tinkerbell with me, on a parallel and simultaneous route I taught my friend to take care of Tink over a period of a year. Since Tink fly and he agreed not to clip wings , he needed to know how to look after a flying parrot since he never had parrot before.

And though we said our goodbyes in end 2004, I been back to see and be with her in visits ranging weeks at a time every one or two years.
And in couple of months will see her again in bitter sweet reunions.

I wish you all the best and that she can continue her living and being with you.

Hugs