• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help - Shrieking Finch!

AFBates

Moving in
Hi there,

I'm a new finch owner and just got my first pair of Societies (Hracky and Dave). They are both males, but they get along fine and have adorable little songs.

However.

Hracky does this piercing, shrieking whistle thing akin to the Psycho theme, and I can't figure out why. I live in an apartment, and I'd love it if I could discourage that particular noise so as to keep my neighbors happy. Is that noise an alarm call of some kind, or territorial? He did it this morning when the cage was still half covered, but he doesn't seem afraid of the towel. Dave doesn't make that sound at all. Can someone please tell me what this is, and if it's normal?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I also have a pair of society finches. Can you upload a video or audio clip of the sound? I cant imagine they are loud enough to be heard through walls, even in an apartment. Societies are very quiet by comparison.

AFBates

Moving in
Here's a video. We played a YouTube video of other finches to get him to make the noise for recording, but he'll do it randomly at any time without a specific stimulus.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yes, my Charlie will do the exact same thing. Usually the call is because he is excited and or wants to get my attention. 90% of the time its because he's a spoiled brat and wants out of the cage.

Now here is a separate call that I too am still trying to figure out: Barking Finch | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Note, this call above is VERY different from the call you mentioned. The call you mentioned I have heard Charlie make identically! Again usually just attention seeking call in my opinion.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello @AFBates ! Welcome to the neighborhood. Your finches are cute :)

I think those are normal society finch sounds. He's just calling out. Some of the noise will subside as your new friends get used to their home. It takes awhile.... longer than we expect, usually.

@Atomiklan is an AWESOME finch parent and I am sure will be able to help you with questions. Look back at his posts -- his finches are hand tame!

AFBates

Moving in
@Atomiklan Thank you so much, I'm glad to hear it's a normal healthy finch thing (even if it is a bit alarming). We're just going to nickname him "Norman" I guess, since my last name is already Bates.

Question: If it's attention seeking, is the answer to give him attention, or to hold off so that he doesn't feel like the behavior is rewarded?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Give him attention. :)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah just give him a little bit of attention and/or let him out of the cage. It will get better. Charlie now comes to the top corner of his cage and whistles for me when he wants out. If I don't let him out, eventually he'll go do something else. Put some distractions in the cage. My Charlie LOVES all his nesting material. Of course a lot of people on here will tell you NOT to do this as it of course encourages nesting. Having lots of different foods for him to munch on too helps, especially food they have to work for like the ones I have * in the following list. I keep a huge variety of stuff for them. Leafy greens hanging from ceiling* (except at nesting times as he likes to put them in the nest instead of eat them......), dried leafy greens, pellets, sprouted seed, regular food mix, egg shells and egg food right now, corn cob suspended from ceiling on a bolt*, and one of those premade seed treats on the wall*, their fresh fruits and veggies I cut up each day, and lastly some millet occasionally*. Some of these things stay in all the time. Other items come and go. They also have their cuttlebone and two types of mineral bars on the cage walls and a bird bath. They both keep quite entertained! The key with the * food is to make them work for it. It gives them some exercise and gives them something to do.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
You got the exact same starter flight cage I first bought. Worked great at first, but SOOOOOO happy I upgraded to cage they are in now.

Prevue Pet Products Hampton Deluxe Divided Breeder Cage System with Stand

Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products F070 Hampton Deluxe Divided Breeder Cage with Stand : Pet Supplies

I ended up not using the stand as it was just too low (I think they intend you to stack another cage on top since they are breeder cages). I LOVE this cage though. Its just a little bit bigger, MUCH easier to clean and I can separate them (finches) if needed at any time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Any thing they can shred works as well as "nesting material".... a rose by any other name...

Bits of clean burlap, shreddy toys, a big knot of jute or hemp string. Mine like the paper shreds from our office. Oh and - my zebra finches loved to take the millet stalk (after they ate the millet) and try to cram it into their coconut.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Any thing they can shred works as well as "nesting material"
Hahaha yup I concur! Charlie LOVES to fight with this thing. If you pack it tight, it keeps him busy for hours! I pack it tight and zip tie it up in the corner. I put it up top so they can't get on top of it anymore to poop on it. Never requires cleaning or throw out now. Stays nice and tidy.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Oh, and this was the first way I tried to give them a corn cob. It was entertaining but probably frustrating for them too hahaha. I found it was better to hard mount it to the cage.