• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help, should I be worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Just took this picture. Below is a picture of the bottom of Tinga's cage, so it is his poop. It must be very fresh, since its still wet looking. Is this normal? Should I be taking Tinga to see his AV?

I have zero experience with sick birds. He's not acting sick, but I know with birds this means nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like normal urates and feces. There is not any urine showing or at least minimal amounts. Sometimes this is normal. Just keep an eye on future poops. He should be fine. :)

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Whew, thank you. So that funny thing that looks like a giant worm isn't anything to worry about, nor the colour?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, I changed my post before while you were posting! Yes, that is a normal feces shape!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Stop think what was he eating greens vegies ha ha i have sen red orange black white it goes by what they eat yes i check like you but have to top think sometimes,,lol looks very healthy to me a well fed bird

mom stop feding so good

hugs doll

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Looks like normal urates and feces. There is not any urine showing or at least minimal amounts. Sometimes this is normal. Just keep an eye on future poops. He should be fine. :)
thanks fir your help. What colour does the urine show up as? White? What causes a bird to have less urine showing and is there anything I should be doing?

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Stop think what was he eating greens vegies ha ha i have sen red orange black white it goes by what they eat yes i check like you but have to top think sometimes,,lol looks very healthy to me a well fed bird

mom stop feding so good
hugs doll
Hi, thanks for your reply. His main food is fresh chop (as in Patricia Sund from parrot nation). Also pellets & a few nuts as a treat (bribe) to go to bed.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Urine is a clear liquid. If he has not had a big drink prior to pooping it can cause less urine. However, if urine continues to not show then kidney problems could be causing this. Like I said, keep a watch on future poos. This might help!

Poopology learn what your parrots poop means

I think it looks normal BTW!:)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for the link, I will read up. I'm not sure I've ever seen clear. Usually a mix of green and white. Some have more white than this one.

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Yep, the worm (shape) is normal :p I'm guessing you're used to softer poops if you feed lots of fruit and vege?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Looks normal to me also:):hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As I tell my birdies...... that is a Beautiful poop!!!!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for input everyone.

The things that looked different to me in SOME of Tinga's recent poops are:

- I only recently noticed the worm like looking shape in the poop (you + research tonight tells me that is normal)
- The feces (green part) seems a darker yet brighter green.
- There seems to be less urates (the white stuff).

The only thing that has changed food wise is that for the past 10-7 days I've been adding around 1/2 teaspoon of organic hulled hemp seed to his daily diet. This is new - he hasn't had it in the past.

Other than that, his diet hasn't changed. Pellets, Chop and a few nuts as a treat (bribe) to return to his cage for bed. No red foods for Tinga (other than red chili seeds & finely chopped fresh red chili - both hidden in his Chop). Tinga doesn't (knowingly) eat red food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Two separate people have now pointed out the lack of urine, which may not, or may not be a problem. I am not sure how to recognise the urine (being clear) and given that I have not ever noticed a clear liquid in the poops since Tinga came me, I'd rather be sure. Not saying its not there, just not sure i know what im looking for. Tinga is my only inside bird with normal parrot type poops. The other 2 are squirty lorikeets. I'm so happy you all say his poops look fine, but I think just for peace of mind we'll check it out

Tinga has an AV appointment tomorrow. Unfortunately my usual AV isn't on duty. He's the owner and he'll be his other clinic, which is a lot further away. It's still the same clinic and I'm still seeing a qualified AV, so for the poop testing, I think it will be ok to see the other AV on duty. I checked that it wasn't the evil AV lady vet I don't like, so that's a relief. If it had been her, I would have driven to the other clinic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Some things to worry about- no shape at all{except that morning one on some birds can be a huge splat if they had veggies the night before}, electric green, black, no urates,...that poop looked fine to me. I hope the vet calms your fear and all is well.:hug8:

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Good luck with the vet visit :) And just to add, seed poops look more green so I'd say the extra hemp seed is probably why Tinga's poops are looking a darker green.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The urine may have soaked into the paper (if it is on paper) if you didn't take the picture right away. The feces themselves look quite moist. I would just look at some future droppings as soon as they are dropped to see if there is a bit more urine. Make sure the water is fresh, clean the bowl well daily.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks again to all of you. Your reassurance has helped :)

Carole, thanks for the extra tips on what to look out for.

Adele, might be the hemp seed. It's a fairly lighting green with flecks of darker green

Jennifer, it was moist. It wasn't on newspaper. I use Lino to line his cage so there was nothing to soak anything up.

I'm sure everything is fine. The AV is "just in case".

Status
Not open for further replies.