• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP! Self Mutilating Sun Conure

egg

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
me
I would just wash my hands and then gently use a fingertip. You just need a thin layer. It needs to be medical honey though, not food grade. You should be able to find it in a drug store with wound care supplies.
what brand do you recommend?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use MediHoney, but I buy it from Amazon so I'm not sure if you'll find it in stores. Any kind of medical grade honey should work though. It's also not horrible to just leave the wound clean and open for now.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
That's really scary. I'm sorry you and your fid are dealing with this. I don't have experience with mutilators or large wounds, but I'd suggest keeping her in a calm quiet warm area for the time being. If you have a heat pad, that can go under one side of the cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, poor sweetie! I hope they can figure out a cause soon. I was also wondering about giardia.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so very sorry that your sweet bird is mutilating - there is not much that is more worrisome.

I personally have not had any experience with a mutilator. But I always have a strong suspicion that mutilating is caused by a physical issue - especially when it first begins. I'm going to alert someone who has had lots of experience with mutilators.

@Macawnutz

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Do you know what was in the spray? I would do blood panels especially cbc and an xray minimum. Also, ask for high doses of pain meds. When Giggie had a round of this, we medicated her until she could eat but was very drowsy for a few days to get her healing. Tramadol, gabapentin and celebrex.

egg

Real Name
me
Do you know what was in the spray? I would do blood panels especially cbc and an xray minimum. Also, ask for high doses of pain meds. When Giggie had a round of this, we medicated her until she could eat but was very drowsy for a few days to get her healing. Tramadol, gabapentin and celebrex.
I don’t have much knowledge about it other than the vet telling me it was for the skin.

Today I was prescribed an ointment to use on her, and he told me that its now for sure a bacterial infection... I just hope this does the trick.

egg

Real Name
me
Have her tested for Giardia.
I saw that one of the symptoms for this is decreased appetite, but I noticed she’s been eating more than usual. The vet today told me that she gained weight this week, too.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Still have her tested for giardia. Plucking can be the only symptom. What is the cream? Silvadene?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I don’t have much knowledge about it other than the vet telling me it was for the skin.

Today I was prescribed an ointment to use on her, and he told me that its now for sure a bacterial infection... I just hope this does the trick.
Did you see the vet or just talk to the vet?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So your bird has an infection now and you only got prescribed a cream? What about oral antibiotics?

egg

Real Name
me
Still have her tested for giardia. Plucking can be the only symptom. What is the cream? Silvadene?
I am in class right now but I will make sure to get back to this question. Do you know what causes giardia in parrots?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Most commonly it's in the water, but it could also be on produce or other food items. It's one of those things that just happens sometimes.
It can also be brought in from your shoes ,as its found in the soil in areas,,but most commonly from water, a simple fecal test would show it, if they look for it. I had tiel who mutilated under her wings. Was misdiagnosed for years, when a vet fianally discovered the giardia, she was given the proper medication and was healed, no more mutilation, not saying this is your issue, but, wouldn't hurt to test and rule it out. :hug8:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can also be brought in from your shoes ,as its found in the soil in areas,,but most commonly from water, a simple fecal test would show it, if they look for it. I had tiel who mutilated under her wings. Was misdiagnosed for years, when a vet fianally discovered the giardia, she was given the proper medication and was healed, no more mutilation, not saying this is your issue, but, wouldn't hurt to test and rule it out. :hug8:
True! Important to note, giardia can be hard to diagnose because it doesn't always shed. So if they don't immediately see it on a fecal, the best test is a 3 day collection of poop (gross I know) that then gets sent to a lab to look for giardia DNA fragments.

egg

Real Name
me
Most commonly it's in the water, but it could also be on produce or other food items. It's one of those things that just happens sometimes.
I found the ointment I use now. She is itching excessively now. She keeps rubbing her head on her foraging toys to scratch her face/head, and is beak wiping everywhere out of itchiness.

5F03E176-085A-4E64-AE2B-F07461BAA046.jpeg

Attachments

egg

Real Name
me
Update 3/6/19

Guys, thank you all for the advice you’ve given me and I’m going to take her in for a walk in tomorrow at the vet for giardia.

After doing some online research, I’m really hoping this is a culprit. We all know its not normal for birdies to start plucking so spontaneously!! :(

Since I’m no vet, I can never be too sure. But the symptoms all point to it, so I’m crossing my fingers!!

Wish Quinn good luck, everyone! :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck, Quinn! Ask the vet if she can have some oral Metacam for the pain and inflammation.