• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Possibly allergy to cockatoo dander

Razz

Moving in
Hi everyone. I'm new here but need some advice or insight, anything! I have a 12 year old male eclectus that is a known plucker. Two weeks ago I adopted an umbrella cockatoo. Within the two weeks of the cockatoo being here my eclectus has started having breathing problems. Even while relaxed he seems to be breathing way to hard. I've read a couple things about the dander of a cockatoo and am wondering if anyone has seen this before? I'm extremely worried about him and it makes me sick to think that this could be because of my new feathered friend..

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Do you have an air purifier? That can help with the dander. You could also keep them in separate rooms to help! If the picking is really bad I would also talk to my vet.

Razz

Moving in
No they are not in the same room and I do have an air purifier.. the only reason I think it could be the dander is because he was fine before the cockatoo got here.. I am planning on taking him to the vet. But the soonest appointment is days away so wanted a little more insight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, cockatoo, cockatiel, and grey dander can cause respiratory distress in non dusty species. Usually it's not so immediate though, it's often after years of exposure

Razz

Moving in
Could there be a possibility that it would happen after a short time?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could there be a possibility that it would happen after a short time?

I believe so, if the Ekkie has never been around dusty birds you would have no knowledge of a sensitivity to the dust till you exposed him to it. A vet visit is in order for sure and lots of showers for the Too.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am wondering if the ekkie is not experiencing anxiety over the new bird, and that is causing the heavy breathing, and the plucking. I mean, I can't see the dander part happening that fast.

Last edited: