• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please!!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I recantly bought a new house and moved in a couple days ago with my birds and dogs. My amazon is nuts now lunging and trying to bite when i open the cage door to feed him or walk by. Before he was in the dining room away from the other birds. Now he is in a room with a sunconure and a macaw. Do you think i should move him out of there could that be the problem!? Any advice will be much appriciated!

KimD

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
You could try moving him for now until he gets used to things. Too many changes at once might be scaring and/or upsetting him! Let him get used to the new house and then maybe slowly start introducing him to the other room, just visiting for a few minutes at a time until he gets comfortable. Our Amazon reacted the same way towards my husband when we brought another bird into the house. Even though we've always had multiple birds, they were always cockatiels and he was the top bird. The sudden appearance of a large CAG (we hadn't moved her into the others' room yet, but he could still see her across the hall) set Rocky off and he attacked my husband viciously. We kept Jesse out of sight and Rocky settled down after a couple of days, then we set about slowly introducing them, making sure Rocky was given lots personal attention before and after to reassure him he was still #1. They're buddies now, with cages next to each other, but we still make sure Rocky gets attention first when we walk in and again last before we leave the room.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Kim. Too much change has upset him. Instead of walking right by the cage, can you hang around, even after he lunges, and talk softly and sweetly to him? When my own Amazon pitches a fit, sometimes I can talk him down to a more reasonable state of being. During his hormonal bout, he was majorly cray cray for a bit. There was absolutely no reasoning with him. Could your boy be hormonal? Wasabi did strike out at me a few times and, as soon as I uncovered him in the morning one day, he rushed clear across the cage to come try to bite me. No exaggeration. He was out for blood.

Could some kind of discomfort, like a slightly pinched toe or something, have occurred during the move? That is not a criticism. Just wondering what he is so upset. Might it be physical? Could he equate you with bringing in the new bird and he is showing his displeasure? If that might be it, try not reacting the next time he strikes out and just talk to him a little, tell him he is a good boy and leave a treat in his bowl. Amazons are smart as a whip. You did not change your hairstyle or style of dressing, did you? Sometimes that annoys birds. He is trying to tell you something...hmmmmmm.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I recantly bought a new house and moved in a couple days ago with my birds and dogs...... Before he was in the dining room away from the other birds.
New house.
New room.
New feathers in that room WITH him.

Yep. I think he's on overload.

I'm sure folks will chime in that have multiple zons.

I'll tag one.
@melissasparrots

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Give it some time, be patient. It's the stress of moving, New surroundings, other new birds.
Amazon's especially from my experience tend to take it all a bit harder than other birds. Least that's my opinion from several amazons.
What I would do is take my Amazon away from others and just have a chat at kitchen table with her on my shoulder. She understands the word " it's ok" ....and pet her while saying it.
But every bird is different and unique in its own way. A tour of the entire house with your bird would justify that there's nothing lurking in next room that will scare it. Think I'm terms of a 2 or 3 year old and a new bed.... Someone has to make sure their's no monsters under bed or in closet.....now can you see how the bird sees it? Same way. Show them around, assure them the surroundings are ok and harmless. Just like you would walk a dog around your property to establish the yard boundary lines. They are smarter than you give them credit for..:bliss:

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could just be the stress of the move. Some amazons get very agitated by other parrots. If they can't attack the other parrot, they will take their frustration out on the human or any other target they can reach. You might try moving the other parrots out of sight and see if that is a quick fix. Otherwise, give him time. Don't interact with him until the house is extremely relaxed. Other parrots out of sight or very calm, no kids, spouses, friends moving around or having recently moved around. No radio, tv, washing machines, kitchen appliances making noise. All very calm and extremely boring. That is the time to try interacting with him. My amazons always bite me if my dog gets too close. Watch out for things in the environment the bird hates and could just be taking his aggression out on you since you are available.