• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help please, urgent advice needed.

jessim

Moving in
hi all, I’m new here! We brought Mike from a pet shop where we have brought all our other birds on Wednesday, I noticed a fatty lump on his stomach the same day and took him back Thursday, they advised us he could be just overweight.. to be fair the first picture was him Wednesday and second picture 4 days later on Sunday, so he has lost a little weight from us feeding him veggies and exercise everyday. We have himbooked in to see our vet Thursday but would just love some thoughts on what it could be until then,thanks!

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
sorry, no clue here but I will say he's a cutie!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
To my humble view it looks like he was fat, especially as he has lost weight already. But I have zero experience with budgies. He is an adorable little guy, hope he is just chubby!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies get fatty tumors in that area sometimes. He sure is cute. I am happy you have him scheduled for a vet visit. Exercise and improved diet may help. Some people like to give the birds Herb Salad. It is sold on Amazon and best given to the bird in a shallow dish so they can forage for what their body needs. Please let us know what happens with updates.

Amazon.com : Herb SaladTM for All Birds (8 Ounce) : Pet Supplies

Twin Beaks® Aviary - Animal self-medication - Natural, Organic and Holistic wellness for your pets.

Last edited:

jessim

Moving in
Thank you, being from Australia we don’t have much to choose from for special foods etc. we give our birds a lot of greens on a plate and they choose what they feel like for that day :) they are especially fond of spinach and pea sprouts! Mike has gotten a lot more active and vocal since we have brought him home, can’t imagine what would’ve happened if we didn’t bring him home :(

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
You can also try growing some of those herbs yourself and letting him chew on the fresh stuff. They have these little indoor plant growing kits meant to provide you with year round herbs and vegetables.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Herbs are easily grown and you dry them yourself. I do it all summer long for the long long winter months in MN.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Maybe it's a lipoma?
Hope he's okay :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie, I hope he is okay!

jessim

Moving in
Hi everyone! We’ve taken mike to the vet earlier as he had started rapid breathing. Soooo it’s not a lipoma or tumour, she said it looks to be an air pocket in his lung from trauma when he was a baby. she’s prescribed us anti biotics, not even sure why. I’m so sad for him and so angry at the pet shop.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh dear, never heard of this happening. I guess the air pocket could not be aspirated? I hope he will get more comfortable. Did the vet call this a pneumothorax?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry, hope he gets better

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
wagwalking.com/bird/condition/air-sac-rupture here is wow i never heard of it...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Usually an air sac rupture can be cleared with a tiny syringe,,we do it at the bird rescue all the time
I hope he will heal heal quickly.