• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please if you can guess sex this young?

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
@Monica but at the same time i think its a girl because of the body coloring, its very light but i'm leaning toward boy:budgie7:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not sure how body color would indicate female?

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
because males are usually the more attractive animals just a small side note and yes totally boy

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
if you really, really wanted to know you could take a test, a feather test and send it in.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I get what you mean, the males are the on to attract the females. They have to be strong with a good chance of survival so the offspring survives. With budgies You sex them via the cere, though mutations make it difficult and behaviour is not an indicator (one of my pair of boys have a lot of fun together ;))

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Monica im sorry... most likely wasted your time:sad11:
Not at all! I only hope that you learn something! :)

In eclectus parrots, the females are the brighter, more vibrant birds (at least as per some people! males are just green with some red - believe me, both are stunning in person!). I've heard this is so that the females can "blend in" to the nest cavity better. (not sure if there's any truth to this)

In birds of prey, the females are often larger than the males, and it's believed they were designed this way so that the females would have more power to protect the nest from invaders. Otherwise, the males and females are identical in appearance.

In several spider species, it's often the females that are larger and more "attractive" in appearance and the males are these tiny, minute little creatures. (tarantulas being one exception)

Many parrot species cannot be visually sexed because many are monomorphic - having little or no variances between the sexes. Conures, cockatoos, macaws, lorikeets and african greys are all great examples! Cockatoos you *might* be able to tell with the eyes, but it's not always 100% accurate (could be close, though!) African greys you can tell by tails and perhaps overall color, but again, not 100% accurate. (probably less accurate than cockatoo eyes!) Birds like eclectus, cockatiels, ringnecks (not Australian variety) and a few others you can typically sex them by 2 years of age, if not much sooner. (depending on species)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
because males are usually the more attractive animals just a small side note and yes totally boy
@PoukieBear is this usually the case with budgies?

Sorry I only know finches and some species of parrots.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Poukie is a breeder of beautiful budgies and really knows them from A to Z. She says male I believe her.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Not at all. Males and females look identical, except for the color of their cere. Males will have pink, blue or purple ceres. Females will have white, white/tan/blue, tan, or crusty brown ceres.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
@PoukieBear but you never know after their first molt it may change..

True, after the first molt it may change, but your bird is still a male. :) It is possible to sex budgies as young as 4-6 weeks old, you just need to know what to look for.

Not at all. Males and females look identical, except for the color of their cere. Males will have pink, blue or purple ceres. Females will have white, white/tan/blue, tan, or crusty brown ceres.

What Monica said! :)

Both males and females can come in any colour mutation you can dream up.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The breeder of my two budgies claims to have a 95% sex prediction of his baby birds. However he was off on Mickey. Being an honest person he refunded half of the cost and offered to give me a male bird. I did not want to have 3 birds and Mickey was in my heart already. So Mickey's cere changed colors from a medium blue to a white after the first molt.