• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help Please! Blood Feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Newest little tiel, Sawyer, became startled and flew, he doesn't fly as good as Boomer. He had/has a broken blood feather. I didn't realize this until I noticed a couple of drops of blood on the floor, I started looking for the source and found the blood feather in the bottom of the cage.
I woke up my husband, (he's on nights) to see if he could help me, we didn't think it was bleeding any more. So, when hubby was going back to bed, Sawyer didn't like it, I tried to distract him and he flew again, just to the floor, that's when it started bleeding again. Hubby got up again, we tried to towel him, just to see if all the feather was actually out, hubby thinks it is. Using a q-tip, I put some corn starch on it, I called the vet. They only told me to do what I already had done, except to hold him and see if there was any left in, to use tweezers. Hubby believes it is out and the vet said there was little they could do. :omg:
I'm watching him, right now he's not bleeding. He's chewing and playing, I made him some veggies and he ate them too.
I want to post a pick of the feather, tell me if it looks normal or whatever, please? This was a tail feather.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
As long as it's not bleeding he will be okay. If you have any powered cayenne pepper you can blot some on the boo boo spot. Flour works as does corn starch to stop the blood, but everyone should have a tube of Superclot in their first aid kit.

Synergy Labs Super Clot 0.75oz

Ginger

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Ginger is right as long as it has stopped bleeding everything will be fine as the feather did not break off it all came out from what I can see in the picture

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Okay, I have the flour, cayenne pepper, and corn starch, the lady at the vet told me to use baking soda but all I could remember was corn starch. I'm trying really hard to not freak out over this, but it scared the doodles out of me! I will buy the Synergy Labs Super Clot today for sure.
Thank you Ginger.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
definitely a blood feather..I would definitely not use Stypic as it can burn..corn starch is really very good and glad you had some on hand...scary stuff that...seems you did well dear

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Thanks Anne! I'm just going to keep watching him, very closely all day and night. The little goober had no tail feathers and very few wing feathers when we got him, the little children that had him had pulled them out, they are really growing in very fast and he wants to fly so bad.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thanks Anne! I'm just going to keep watching him, very closely all day and night. The little goober had no tail feathers and very few wing feathers when we got him, the little children that had him had pulled them out, they are really growing in very fast and he wants to fly so bad.
:omg::( Ugh. I am so glad you have him now. How sad that the parents would let their kids do that to this poor baby. I wont take your thread off topic but that really makes me angry. :mad: The Super Clot Ginger mentioned is great to have on hand. Syptic powder should only be used on nails, not skin. I have never heard of using baking soda..I dont think I would try that.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue

:omg::( Ugh. I am so glad you have him now. How sad that the parents would let their kids do that to this poor baby. I wont take your thread off topic but that really makes me angry. :mad: The Super Clot Ginger mentioned is great to have on hand. Syptic powder should only be used on nails, not skin. I have never heard of using baking soda..I dont think I would try that.
Yes, I've ordered the Super Clot, I'm afraid this may happen again just because he keeps trying to fly. In the beginning, we had to be johnny-on-the-spot and get to him before he actually took off. This time he was startled by my other cockatiel, who flies and flirts with the dog.;)
He seems to be doing okay, no more bleeding, he does keep preening the area. Right now I've put him inside his cage for some rest and so I can cook, thanks everyone for the help. You guys are the greatest!:highfive:

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
Sounds like you already got the advise that I was going to say. Before I got the Super Clot, I used corn starch. It worked great. Messy, but effective. Key thing to remember is clot it and apply direct pressure. Now that I got Super Clot, I never had to use it. Knock on wood. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.