• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help! Pickles got bit by the baby Eclectus

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
648898C5-75B3-4DA2-91C7-1CA71C53DBEC.jpeg ABD74225-37D5-4F33-87C2-441662EF08AD.jpeg I was not home, and I have no idea what happened other than pickles landed on the eclectus’ cage and she got him on his beak. I’ve never had this happen before. What do I do???

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
clean the area that got injured to get a better idea of the severity of the injury. Try to keep Pickles as comfortable and in a quiet area. Make sure Pickle's beak didn't break or there are any tears in the skin where Pickel's will need to see a vet. First how bad is it?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I left a message with my vet to see what we need to do. It’s hard to see exactly how much damage because when I clean it, with it still bleeding, it just keeps bleeding. Can I use cornstarch on his beak? It’s not pouring blood or anything, but you can definitely tell it

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor Pickles! :( How did he get out? I'm sure the bleeding will clot shortly & I hope they are only superficial wounds. :sadhug2: I would be worried about getting cornstarch in his nares. Maybe if you had a tiny bit on a -tip & tried dabbing it on? That might not be dusty.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
The three smaller ones were out eating. Pickles flew to her cage and she got him through her cage. She got him good. I don’t wanna risk anything getting into his nares but I will try with a qtip. It must not be hurting though because he bit the snot out of my ear. I feel so bad for him. I wish I had been home. My husband was home, btw. They weren’t out by themselves, but I was at the gym :(

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The one photo showing what would be his right side... is that a crack or chip out of the beak?

Even if it is, the good news, it is the beak itself that is chipped and with proper maintenance, should grow out. If that is a hole or crack, I would take him to an avian certified vet, there are a few things they can to for filling in that crack / hole to support the beak and be sure it does not further damage or crack while growing out.

Max arrived to me with a break in his beak that did not show up until months later because the damage was on the inside of the beak, so it took the beak growing and peeling before it became apparent. I will try to find photos so you can see, Max's injury was a bit worse, and we saved his beak, but it was with many trips to the vet to maintain the repair over several months until the damaged part literally grew up. He still has a ridge in the beak, almost like a scar even now, it grows with that ridge where the beak was cracked... Thankfully it was not damaged down into the jaw, so new growth essentially fixed the 'break' as long as we kept it together (vet used a putty and glue to keep the beak intact growing out).

If that is not a hole or crack, well I just babbled on for nothing!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
It’s hard to tell, even for me. I did text the pictures to my vet, so I’m waiting for a response now to see what I should do. It almost looks like a crack, but while it’s still bleeding, it’s really hard to tell. I’ve held him in all different lights and I’m still not sure

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
It looks okay. It wasn't anyone's fault. They fight and even if you were there, you would have pulled them apart and it still would be wounded. Sometimes they don't get a long and someone doesn't realize how hard they bit. It looks like Pickles is okay. but it looks like you're going to have to specially watch them! They have history!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Have you stopped the bleeding yet? Use quick stop if you don’t have that use some flour from the kitchen. Keep packing it on till t he bleeding stops.

You don’t have to do that if it isn’t bleeding “much”.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It’s hard to tell, even for me. I did text the pictures to my vet, so I’m waiting for a response now to see what I should do. It almost looks like a crack, but while it’s still bleeding, it’s really hard to tell. I’ve held him in all different lights and I’m still not sure

Definitely wait for your vet :) And don't worry, even if that is a crack or hole, if you have a good avian vet, there is no worry about that being an injury that can be supported ;) Max's beak was literally cracked where there was a triangle that was not attached to the bottom beak - was still intact within the jaw, but was kinda dangling there. Here are the only photos I can find. The one you see where the triangle is kinda lower than the bottom beak and the pic of him with me is a couple months in and it had not grown out, but was just with regular vet trips to be sure the 'glue' the vet was using kept the beak together. He was able to eat everything except for nuts in shells.

His injury we presumed happened because he lived with an umbrella cockatoo before coming to the rescue and he is a floor bird, so can only guess they had a beak battle and the cockatoo got Max by the bottom beak and cracked the beak inside of the mouth, but the outer layers were intact, so it took growing out for months before the injury was apparent. But that was 3-1/2 years ago and now you would never know unless you realized what the ridge is :)

So don't worry or be too upset, even if it's worst case scenario, it can be supported and healed!! For now, don't give him anything too hard or large to eat, just until your vet gives you the all clear!

max beak 2 .jpg max beak .jpg max beak 3 .jpg

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Not at the moment it isn’t. We have a vet appt at 9:30 and it can’t come soon enough!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Going forward you need to be much more vigilant about things. First time is an accident. Not the second time. You may need to change something because if it happened once it will happen again.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he’s okay, poor guy!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
He is just fine. She did manage to crush part of his beak, but Dr. B says it should grow out fine, just to keep an eye on it. He did put him on pain meds for a few days but he’s eating fine and will be okay.

I usually do watch him like a hawk John, however my husband had 4 kids here last night :wideyed: and he didn’t know pickles flew in there until squaking happened. But best believe we are definitely going to pay wayyyy more attention now.

Thanks for your help everyone! I was worried but y’all helped me until my vet called back :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Eggads I missed this...I am so glad he is okay.