• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help on type of bird to get?

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I got my first two birds after researching species and reading anecdotes on forums. The third I just fell in love with. Based on research alone, I would not have chosen a BFA, because of their reputation as one of the hot three. Whenever I went to the aviary to buy supplies, however, I couldn't stay away from the zons, and particularly the blue fronts. I loved the way they moved, the way they looked at me and responded to me. Sometimes you find you just have an affinity for a certain species. I fought it for a few years, then caved and got Horatio. I can't tell you how much I love this boy, even when he's bad. So do the research, but try to find a place where you can interact with several species--preferably a good aviary or a rescue and not a pet store. Pictures and anecdote alone can't tell you what a bird is like.

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
my Indian Ringneck is happiest just relaxing on my shoulder while i do things, he is not loud 90% of the time obviously he has a good shout now and then but not often
plus he is very handsome if i may say so myself IMG_1294.jpg the only thing that he does that is less then perfect is dramatic mood swings he has a second monster personality but i have got good at being able to tell by his body language so i avoid Mr grumpy pants so i only get my lovable baby boy :heart:

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
This thread is a couple months old, so I'm not sure if the op is still looking for suggestions.

Regardless, I will say that meeting/seeing a bunch of birds in person is probably the best way to find out what species is right for you (or, better yet, what particular bird). I found out through visiting my local bird store that I am very drawn to cockatoos. They had a baby galah there and I instantly fell in love, and spent the next eight months researching before deciding to get Boris. At first, I thought a large expensive bird was totally out of the question for me, so I started researching cockatiels. After adopting Juju I seeing how awesome they are firsthand, I ended up getting a few more (#2 and #4 were planned, the rest I just couldn't resist).

Boris, my "dream bird" is more of a nightmare sometimes. :lol: Well, not really, but he can be obnoxious! He's nippy and hyper and quite destructive. But I wouldn't trade him for anything. He makes me smile and laugh every day. As do my cockatiels. Basically when I think getting the bird you can't stop thinking about or that you can't bare NOT to get is the way to go. As long as you're prepared to accept them even if they don't live up to your ideals or aren't exactly what you expected.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
mbbird, I am in the same boat as you. There are so many species to choose from, and I've only been able to narrow it down to about 6 lol.. Best of luck and let us know how it's going!