• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help on how to care for my budgie

Jadyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jadyn
About 6 months ago I got a budgie that was not being cared for properly from a friend. We think her age is around 2. She was kept in a cage with one perch and a mirror and had little human interaction. Since we have gotten her she had moved in with my other bird who is a cockatiel and they get along really well. Unfortunately, my budgie is still pretty scared of humans and is very reliant on her mirror. She can't really fly or walk very well. She is definitely happy because she loves to sing along to music and chirps a lot. I want to get her to the point where I could hold her and she could come out of her cage. Is it possible? Should I take out her mirror so she will interact with the real world more? Or should I just leave her be because she seems pretty happy?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Does she perch okay? If not, maybe try some platform perches for her? Will she let you handfeed her treats? That may be a good way to start.

Jadyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jadyn
she seems to perch fine its just on flat surfaces she is unsteady. I was able to hand feed her some millet once but haven't had any luck since, but I will keep at it.
Thank you for the advice