• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Night Screaming

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Hi everyone! I am hoping that someone will be able to help me understand and give me some tips to try and curtail the new behavior that my Goffin Kiwi exhibited last night. He was on floor of his cage with his head bobbing and jumping up and down,crest up while screaming his head off.He will scream during the day and stop but last night he would not.This was happening in the wee hours of the morning.Nobody got any sleep last night.I have ignored the screaming during the day.Last night I got him out to try and calm him.I know I was only helping to reinforce more of this behavior but had no other choice at the time as my grandson was very sick downstairs and every time Kiwi would scream my grandson would awake and start vomiting.Today he is still screaming but not as much.This morning I have had him out with me on my shoulder for about 2 hours and have given him some of his favorite foods to eat.I also am playing some quiet and calming classical music.Could he be acting like this because my grandson is sick and this is his way of alerting us?Could it be hormonal in nature?Or could it be because he had his nails,and beak done yesterday and feels traumatized in some way? He has had this procedure done at the same place many times and has never acted this way. Everyone right now in my household is very grumpy because they did not get any sleep last night.I am hoping that this behavior doesn't become a habit and continue. Thank you in advance for any information and any help that anyone can give,

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can't make any kind of judgement about a behaviour based on 1 event. Anything could have spooked him. A trip to the vet being a glaring example.

The overall screaming you are talking about has a lot to do with being locked in a cage while "knowing" you are there.

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Thank you JLcribber! I know his screaming during the day does have to do with me being there and him inside a cage.He just has never screamed at night like this before.I hop eit is a one time thing and it was due to him being spooked.Maybe my daughter spooked him by jumping up as she did to help my grandson?Normally all is quiet and dark downstairs

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
The other night Ruby went into 'danger screaming' because I was messing with some paper and it caused a moving shadow that crossed her cage. I had recently swapped the top tray of her cage for acrylic and forgot to add the extra 'cover' when I covered her cage that night. Anything can spook them so your daughter's sudden movement may have scared him.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
As JL has already stated, it is very hard to reach a conclusion about a behavior based on a single event, but your wording was intriguing to me and if accurate in the order of the process of this event could provide an answer.
All was quiet, then Kiwi started alarm calls, waking everyone up then your sick child started vomiting.
Although I do not have children of my own, I have been privileged to have had relationships where young children where involved and I know that when they are sick and vomiting that when they are asleep that their sounds change when they are close to vomiting. This may or may not wake the child but it has always had an effect on my animals and they have always tried to wake me because they know that this is a dangerous time for the child as it could not wake up and vomit and suffocate.
This could be what happened and if so you should be very thankful to your bird for this courtesy. But it is difficult to say with just a single occurrence. Just my thoughts on this.