• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help needed- Sad Update Post #25

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please update us because we all care.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Aaaaaaack! Is anyone else as frustrated as me we don't know how kiwi is doing

Rolanda

Maybe not a good sign?:o:

Giomatty

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Sorry to keep you all waiting but it was a very tough couple of weeks, did everything we were advised to do and brought him to the vet as soon as I saw feedback from this post. Took kiwi to vet hospital that was 24 hours where they told me a exotic bird vet was in at the time and told me that the vitals checked out perfect. Everything looked good and I told them specifically what happened and she discharged him an hour and a half after taking him there. Didn't give me any antibiotics because she said he was okay and just shook up. Told me to monitor his behavior and then Next morning I went to open the cage and have him step up and it was then I noticed he was almost unresponsive and wouldn't step up as his eyes were closing and holding tight to the perch. I then rushed in the car and proceeded to take him back to the vet and I then took him off the perch because he flipped upside down on it still attached and held him in my hand/lap for the remainder of the ride where he passed away 10 minutes from the vet. My girlfriend who has worked with animals and rescues in her past had called them up and demanded a refund because of how poorly they treated him by discharging him without any meds. Mind you the avian vet happened to not be there when I first brought him in. We were torn by this episode and learned a big lesson. We did go back to the breeder and got another fancy green cheek and she is super smart, sweet, funny, dances and great personality.

She is larger than kiwi which leads me to think that he was the runt of the liter. Thinking back to his movement and activity leads me to believe that he may have had some sort of health issue when i first got him. Always slow moving and not much of a personality. Hopefully he didn't have a heart issue prior and this startled his heart.. the vet did say that his lungs were beating perfect, lungs were good and no mucus in ear canal. She did say that there was a little saliva on his head which made me ask why are you not giving him antibiotics. Just a really sad story and we will be a lot more cautious with "Cali" getting a small cage to take her out if need be and def going to get a good harness that goes around her body.
Please no lectures or other things that's going to be inappropriate.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss of Kiwi!
:sadhug2:
Thank you for updating. Just curious if the vet you went to was Midwest bird & exotic hospital, in Illinois, by any chance? That place is horrible and I learned that lesson too late.:(

Please post photos of your new conure when you can. Best of luck with her!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not a good experience for you at all. Bad vet on top of it all. Was this an avian certified vet? Vet should have offered you a necropsy at least so you knew what exactly happened.
Hoping all is good for your new Conure.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm so sorry about kiwi. Had hoped for better news. I've tried to save wild birds from cat attacks but the cat always won. Just remember if your new sweetie is out side on a harness , that will keep it safe from flying away but not from predators. I know you will be careful and my best wishes are with you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood