• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help needed- Sad Update Post #25

Giomatty

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Hello everybody my name is Matt, I had my green cheek conure "kiwi" for about 3 weeks now. Kiwi is about 9 months old. His wings are clipped, with that being said he can fly 5 to 7 feet before hitting the ground. He was outside yesterday on a about a 4 foot high perch and flew down to the ground after my girlfriend tried to have him step up on to her finger, (he's very good at stepping up) and out of nowhere a cat approached him rapidly, I though He had gotten a hold of kiwi and ran through the fence as my girlfriend hurtled a 5 foot wooded pointy fencetryig to stop the cat. (He must have been stalking kiwi out because none of us saw a cat in sight. Little did she know the cat left the bird on the ground with the five long tailfeathers dropped. I had read that this is their defense mechanism. I examined his entire body at first he was very shook up. Flapping his wings slowly. I then looked at the tips of the wings to see if there was any blood inside or outside. They were clear with no sight of blood. He calmed down and seem to have been in a bit of shock. Today he has not been eating as much as he usually does, he will start eating then kind of fall a sleep multiple times. He's not as spunky as he used to be. While examining Kiwi there was no visible injuries nor did he feel any pain when I touched him anywhere. He's moving around slower today not eating as much and falling a sleep quite frequently. Is this something serious that I have to be concerned about? he is a sweetheart of a bird and my heart is crushed seeing him like this. I even went to the pet store and talked to a knowledgeable worker there about the issue and showed him a video of how he's acting. When he sleeps he sleeps with his head forward both legs on the perch and has his feathers spread out on his head. I want to take any action I have to. I am hoping he's just in shock from the rough time he had and this will go away. The man at the pet store recommended nutrients to put in his water in which I have and I tried having him drink some of It. Any suggestions would help I appreciate it in advance
P.s.
Just learned today that cat scratch or bite is the worst thing for birds I did not see any blood but that does not mean it didn't penetrate his skin.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may just be scared but he may have internal injuries or there could be a wound that you don't see. Please consider taking him to the vet. Sorry that this happened. I hope he will be OK. Also if you take him outside please keep him in a cage/travel cage or harness train him.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Matt, Kiwi needs to go to the vet. You have a limited length of time (I believe it's 24 hours) to get him on antibiotics in case there is a puncture or scratch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your bird experienced a trauma. Why was he outside? Clipped wings do not keep a bird from flying and why was the cat near? Your bird could have easily died from shock or the trauma of being attacked by a predator. Not a good start towards building a relationship. My suggestion is to take you bird to an avian vet ASAP and please keep the cat far away from him. I hope he recovers and will be safe with you.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You posted twice Matt. I posted in the other one.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Posted reply in the other thread.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can get your bird to an avian vet asap! Please let us know how he's doing, I hope he will be okay!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
the bacteria that cats carry with in their mouth is a deadly poison to birds. please take your little one into Avian vet ASAP.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I agree that you should take him to the vet, and make sure he's only outside in a travel cage or harness. It would keep him safe from cats, other predators, and gusts of wind.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Yes, take him to a vet. Hope he will be ok. In the future don't ever take him outside unless he's in a travel cage and supervise him even then. Cats and birds of prey can always be around hiding and waiting for their chance. I know,i have barn cats and they can be invisible then come out of nowhere to catch their victim. I know you feel bad enough and I'm not trying to be mean at all ,just let this be a lesson. Prayers that your little one is ok

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I am sorry that this happened, the most underestimated problem, there are a lot of predators outside. We have cats and a fox , hawks and vultures and raccoons etc. It just takes a second. Hope your bird will be fine .

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thank you. We all hope for a good outcome. Is that the cage he stays in?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
So glad you're taking Kiwi to the vet! Alot of the time when a cat attacks a bird you don't really see the injuries but then the bird dies later. Hopefully with some antibiotics all will be well! Please keep us posted & good luck!!!

Giomatty

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Yes that's the cage he lives in. A lot bigger than it appears.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep us updated. Hope all will be well.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
How is kiwi today ? I am hoping the vet was optimistic. I know everyone is waiting for good news

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor baby...yes, hopefully the vet started him on antibiotics and antifungals. Be well sweet baby bird.