• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help, my new parrotlet bites & will not leave cage

Brigette

Checking out the neighborhood
I bought a parrotlet (name of Jango) from a pet shop 2 weeks ago, I believe it is 5 months old, it was hand reared in a house before going to the pet shop. It doesn't come out of cage and bites if I pick it up and draws blood. It lets me stroke its head through cage and likes it. I think he is happy as he sings and chirps all day. He has lots of toys, rope ladder swing chew/shredder things. He will let me put my hand in the cage and hand feed him broccoli or millet nothing smaller as he can see my fingers then. I left the cage open last week and he came out on his own and flew but not very well, pet shop clipped a bit of his wing. He hid in the corner of the room so I sat next to him with a playmat with food on and then started to rip some newpaper and he came over inquisitive and sat and ate food. That was a week ago, he will not come out of cage or hop onto a stick and I don't want to pick him up again as that is when he bites me. I have had very tame budgies in the past, so used to having a bird but not used to biting. I have 1 13 year old child and 2 small dogs but they are used to birds and the petshop said the parrotlet was used to dogs, children and other birds. The petshop offered me a full refund of £95.00 but I don't want to let him down. Do you think he is unhappy should I send him back?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Your bird needs time to adjust and to get to know you. What you did with the food is what you need to keep doing.

Sort out all the things that the bird likes the head scratching, the food...and all the things he doesn't like.

Now, do more of what he likes and none of what he doesn't like. Eventually, he will begin to trust you more and more and you will be able to do more with him.

It can take time but that is how you build a relationship with a new bird.

Music1962

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sandy barrett
Yup, just let it adjust .I got my sweet little girl just about 3 weeks ago.Your moving to fast for it ,I know I did expect to much to soon. But now I can hold her with out nipping and she perches on my finger,she is coming around nicely.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Also parrotlets can be more bitey around their cage, so letting him out often will help.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Please don't send him back! You are just what he needs :) Someone who cares and is willing to work with him. And he is happy :) Keep up the good work, any positive experience near your hands is a step forward. So eating millet and such from you is a great step.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Oh no please don't send him back! I don't know what his previous life before you was like but it sounds like he's scared and defensive. It may be the new surroundings and parrotlets take time. I've noticed the smaller birds take more patience and being still a lot more than the larger birds. Due to parrotlets being so small but with the attitude of an Amazon, they are independent and have their own mind.

If he is biting when you ask him to step up, he doesn't want to and it is being forced. They will step up when you are closer and build your relationship. Start with stick training on the step up and down, if he is biting and use positive reinforcement with his favorite treat. We use millet, otherwise they don't get it at all except for special occasions. Slowly shorten the stick so your hand is closer over time. Give treats on your palm facing up and let him jump on your palm to eat it. When he is comfortable doing this, Then you can start with having to eat around your finger if he wants the treat. He will eventually be forced to put one foot or two to get to the treat. Slowly and with patience.

Please have fun while you do it!! It should always be fun.