• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help my cockatiel attacked by my dog

Jayden2008

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jayden Chandler
I had one of my birds out in their room and I came back from cleaning her bowls out to give her her food and I think I spooked her when I opened the door and she started to fly. My dog came running in and she landed on the ground and my dog went after her. My birds was able to escape and hide and it seems as if my dog just pulled out her tail feathers. There are no visible wounds on her body and she seems to be acting fine. She's always been mild and never very playful so she's just calm in her cage now preening herself. She's also eaten a little bit of her food. Should I still take her to the vet? I've never had a problem or emergency with my pets before

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you examine her to make sure there aren't any puncture wounds, etc.? I'm assuming you would see blood if there was.

Jayden2008

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jayden Chandler
Sunnysmom
I haven't seen any blood. shes also molting right now so I don't think it took much for my dog to pull out some of her tail feathers

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She may hae gotten lucky to just loose some feathers but if there are any puncture wounds she could get a deadly infection. Check carefully.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Closely monitor your 'tiel and be 100% sure that there are no wounds.
Hope she will be OK.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Check and check, then wash her bum with anti bacterial soap to make sure there's no dog saliva on her. Hope she's OK.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How scary, I'm glad it wasn't worse!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Like others have said, she will probably be fine IF there are no open wounds. If dog saliva could have gotten into any wound, however, then a vet visit is absolutely necessary. Mammalian saliva usually contains pasturella bacteria, which can be very dangerous. In people who are bitten it can just a serious infection, but in birds it can be fatal within a few days so antibiotics are necessary.