• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent help... my baby Binky's poo looks different.- Sad Update Post #13

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 2 healthy parakeets, Boo & Beepers. I didn't see the kind of zupreme finch pellets for small birds on the list. If you google lefarbe nutri berrie parrot recall it gives a list and a list for zupreme parrot fruit blend pellets. Should I disgard mine I just bought it???
I would worry more about a contagious respiratory infection than I would about the food. Did you quarantine Binky from the parakeets?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am sorry for your loss. You did everything you could.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Binkys Mom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Crystal
Update. I called zupreme and lefare, they said no recalls, wonder why they have that online then? PETsMART called and said they told me wrong. That my bird didnt die it was another one, in which I didnt believe until I went to get her. It was the same bird. She knew me and came right to me. Actually I had to get her out of the cage because she hissed at the man that was trying to get her out.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Update. I called zupreme and lefare, they said no recalls, wonder why they have that online then? PETsMART called and said they told me wrong. That my bird didnt die it was another one, in which I didnt believe until I went to get her. It was the same bird. She knew me and came right to me. Actually I had to get her out of the cage because she hissed at the man that was trying to get her out.
See if you can get some bird formula into her if she is thin. You really need to get some weight on her. Call your vet and tell them the meds aren't working and if there is anything else they can do like switch out meds.

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
That's really good news that she is Ok. She must have been happy to see you. I'm not clear whether the vet associated with Petsmart had a look at her. If Binky is still underweight and not well, I would give her handfeeding formula and see about vet advice. Perhaps there won't be a charge for phone advice.

From what I understand, there are two issues happening with Zupreem...the past recall in about 2012 for having too high calcium levels in their pellets; and the unresolved January 2018 issue relating to the Bird and Beaks Rescue incident (their facebook page has updates), but there is no zupreem or lafaber recall happening for that. Over the phone, when they said "no recall", they were likely referring to the 2018 incident.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so sorry to hear about Binky! @Binkys Mom - I hope Boo and Beepers will be all right. The folks here will surely give you great advice, I have learned so much, and still have tons to learn.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
PETsMART called and said they told me wrong. That my bird didnt die it was another one, in which I didnt believe until I went to get her. It was the same bird. She knew me and came right to me.
That's horrible! For them to let you believe your poor bird was dead for a week?? You have to be kidding me. I would be raising h***. If your bird came from the same place (cage or breeder), she could have what the other bird had. If they can tell you what it actually as it might help your vet treat her.

So far as I can tell, the food brands have been cleared so far and other possibilities are still being explored. But here is the main thread if you are interested in reading it:
TBD Cause of 11 Bird Deaths | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh! I misread this and thought you had lost Binky! SO happy you didn't. How is she doing today? @Binkys Mom
Yes, like Karen, I'd be super angry, over the misinformation!