• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent help... my baby Binky's poo looks different.- Sad Update Post #13

Binkys Mom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Crystal
I have other birds so let me start out by saying i know what healthy poo looks like. Ive never saw this color of poo even whn my other birds have been sick.... Years ago. I just changed my birdies cage. She has been in another cage since she's been sick. Binkys poo went from white and pasty to a lime green color. I know what healthy poo looks like... This looks different. She's been on a pink antibiotic I got from my vet for now 7 days. Could this make her poo have a different color?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My guess is yes. I would ask your vet. What is she on antibiotics for? Are all her droppings that way? (And welcome to the forum.) Also, perhaps ask your vet about giving her probiotics with her antibiotics.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My guess is yes. I would ask your vet. What is she on antibiotics for? Are all her droppings that way? (And welcome to the forum.) Also, perhaps ask your vet about giving her probiotics with her antibiotics.
Agree with this & welcome to AA.
Hope your bird will be better soon.

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
To sunnysmom and iamwhoiam thanks for the welcome words. She has upper respiratory infection. She had a gram stain that came in ok though. He said when I took her tot he vet. She's very skinny though. Her breast bone is sharp. She's lost a lot of weight. I was thinking she had the bird flu but wouldn't that show on a gram test. Dont know the antibiotic he gave her. He didn't tell me the name and it doesn't say what it is on the bottle. Its pink. I wish there was a way u both could see before and now after pics. She's so thin. She wont eat any veggys or fruits all little round seed in mix and millet. I even added water to the zupreme pellets to soften them but she wont try that. I also drop bird viatims in her water and have avi bio pro biotic powder I sprinkle on her food. I'm beginning to worry. She's been on this med a week with no change. When does meds kick in. She's still sleeping a lot and staying on the bottom of cage. I even bought a space heater and got a thermometer thingy for cage. She still was shaking and fluffed up at 90 degrees, so I set it for 95 and she seems to be cozy. No fluffed feathers or shaking now. I went out and got her nutri berries to eat to. Since all she will eat is the little round seeds in seed mix and millet. What else can I do?

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
And after. I'm not even holding her tight. Just put fingers as close as I could to show how sharp her breast bone is and how much weight she's lost. I cant afford to go back to the vet. I was out 130.00 for visit and meds and another 30.00 on space heater, new food (that she is eating) and cage thermometer.

Attachments

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
Could it be the bird flu??? I dont understand if they did a gram stain wouldn't t show???

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is the antibiotic one that you give orally? If so, my tiel was on it at one point and I'm drawing a blank on the name. I think I would put a call into the vet and tell him that she doesn't seem to be improving. I would think after 7 days on the antibiotics there should be improvement. And yes, let her eat whatever she will eat right now. Will she eat any soft foods? Some mashed sweet potato or some oatmeal?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it's Baytril, a side effect is loss of appetite, the vet should have told you this..lime green poop could be from starving. I would call and let them know, meanwhile get her to eat anything you can..try scrambled eggs,oatmeal, cooked brown rice, cooked quinoa,,cooked sweet tator, millet..anything. Can you syringe feed some baby bird formula? Ive had to do that myself..The meds should have kicked in by now,,,maybe, a second opinion ..is she drinking water? I hope shes gonna be ok.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meds should have kicked in without 72 hours. She needs to go back to the vet ASAP.

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
When my bird was not eating, her droppings became green, then darker green without the white urate. The pink antibiotic we were using had a name like Floxacin.

If your Binky has not been eating enough for more than 12 hours and you're not able to get her to the Vet immediately, I would start giving her fluids and liquid food by dropper. Hydration is most important. If you don't have fruit juice to give her, here is an Electrolyte recipe:

Homemade Lactated Ringers
Emeraid Intensive Care Basic Use Guide - Emeraid

This link can help you decide how much to feed her. Maybe try soaking the zupreem in warm water for an hour, then puree it.

When birds starve, they can get worse quickly. I learned that when I lost one of my birds.
I hope you can help her.

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
I was out of money for a another vet bill and took her back to PETsMART and gave them all kinds of food, fresh water and a heater and she died the next day. They wanted her back to send them to their vet. My vet said it was a upper respiratory infection.

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
Did any one hear about lafebers nutri berries recall and fruit zupreme pellets. Birds are dying from to much vitamin D and calcium and improper storage which causes moisture in the bag. Here are the the kinds they are recalling as of Jan 4, 2018

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
I also bought binky during my warrantee. I was in the 14 days. I paid my own vet bill not to have to take her out in the cold again.... I tried. I did everything I could do.

Last edited:

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
I just happen to google both products and just found out about it.

Binkys Mom

Real Name
Crystal
I have 2 healthy parakeets, Boo & Beepers. I didn't see the kind of zupreme finch pellets for small birds on the list. If you google lefarbe nutri berrie parrot recall it gives a list and a list for zupreme parrot fruit blend pellets. Should I disgard mine I just bought it???

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is no recall and no conclusive findings on the food so far. There are several threads about it on this forum (which I unfortunately can't link to at the moment because my phone is dumb.)

It does not sound like your bird's symptoms matched anyway. For the future, please know that birds taken to Petsmart's vets almost always end up dead. They are not equipped to treat birds and do not invest much in it.

I am very sorry to read of this outcome.