• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Mildew Problem!

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
So I've come back to my apartment for school and I've noticed the perches and toys in Diesel's cage have mildew on them. The cage does as well. Diesel is staying at a friend's place while I clean my apartment. This cage has been empty for 3 months, she has not been exposed.

I'm wondering what I can use to clean her cage that will also kill the mildew? I know F10 is the best bet, but I don't have any on hand and ordering it will take awhile. Also, are the wooden and cotton perches salvageable in any way? Or do I have to throw everything out and start new?

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Honestly I would just ditch the cotton ones

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Bleach! Dilute it a lot, you can use quite a weak solution and it is still effective. We wash cotton perches in the washing machine but I've never had mildew on them before. Maybe soak, then wash a couple times?

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Bleach! Dilute it a lot, you can use quite a weak solution and it is still effective. We wash cotton perches in the washing machine but I've never had mildew on them before. Maybe soak, then wash a couple times?
I'm not too worried about the cotton perchs. Those I will throw out and buy new. It's more the wood perches. If I soak them in a diluted solution of bleach and then rise them many times, will that still be safe for Diesel?

Any thoughts on using vinegar?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have no idea whether vinegar works on mildew.

Yes, soaking (not too long) then rinse a LOT. Then put outside to dry, if you can.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Take the cage to a carwash and blast it with a pressure washer and a stiff brush. Clean as a whistle.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Take the cage to a carwash and blast it with a pressure washer and a stiff brush. Clean as a whistle.
My vehicle is too small to transport the cage to a car wash without taking it apart. Also, I'm sure placing the cage, even in pieces, in my car will spread the mildew inside there. I'm looking for something I can clean the cage with right now that will kill the mildew and be safe for Diesel.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My vehicle is too small to transport the cage to a car wash without taking it apart. Also, I'm sure placing the cage, even in pieces, in my car will spread the mildew inside there. I'm looking for something I can clean the cage with right now that will kill the mildew and be safe for Diesel.
Do you know anyone with a truck? Or a pressure washer? :)

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Do you know anyone with a truck? Or a pressure washer? :)
I'm going to ask a friend with a truck to move the cage for me to a place where I can hose it off. I'll have to take the cage apart to get it through the door though. Should I use anything else besides a high pressure hose and a scrub brush to clean the cage? Also, what do you recommend I do about the wooden perches?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would use whatever cleaner I liked and worked. Once clean it's most important to rinse it well and get rid of all the residue.

If perches get dirty I wet them and use a wire brush. Again rinse well. I usually just cut new ones.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I would use whatever cleaner I liked and worked. Once clean it's most important to rinse it well and get rid of all the residue.

If perches get dirty I wet them and use a wire brush. Again rinse well. I usually just cut new ones.
So if I do a bleach solution and soak the perches, then scrub and rinse really well, they should be safe for Diesel to use again? Some of these perches have bark on them. Will that absorb the mildew or any cleaning solution use and therefore be dangerous and should just be thrown out?

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
For the perches you could make a paste of baking soda and vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes before giving them a good scrub before setting them out in the sun to dry. For the hard surfaces, I'd wash it all down in undiluted vinegar. Allen's is now selling a vinegar that 10% acetic acid that they're marketing as a cleaning vinegar. It might be worth it to see if a store carries it where you are. Otherwise I'd seek out the pickling vinegar.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wash the cage. Get new perches if they're that dirty.