• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! might have been sold an unweaned quaker?

Ready to be weaned?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
That is a good sign, probably the older ones. I don't know if anyone else has said this but try offering spray millet. Baby birds tend to eat that easy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It's like bird crack but in a good way - if you have a skinny bird that isn't eating and they'll eat millet give it to them because at least you'll know they're eating. Another clue (for a newbie) is if they're pooping they are eating.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
So I left the house to get some formula and it looks like they ate every bit of the smaller seed it was all husk when I got home, still going to hand feed until they refuse to take feedings but this is a good sign correct
Yes it is a good sign. The best way to figure out if they are eating enough is to weigh them. If they are gaining weight, all is well. Please keep us updated and we love baby pictures!

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Defiantly look too young to be weaned yet, even if they are picking at food on their own. As time goes on, I'd grind some pellets down to a powder and include that in their sooon fed meal. Gets them used to the taste of pellets too.
Congratulations and thanks for helping them.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are so cute. Thanks for taking them in.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
When my baby regressed a little, I gave her a little bowl of warm oatmeal mixed with blueberries and a frozen veggie mix, and she loved it!

I used the Kaytee extract for finches, I bet it will be fine for quakers too :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that they are eating a bit on their own. Hope things go well with the handfeeding. They are very cute and it was good of you to take all of them from that #$@#$#$ person.

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
Alright update: they are all eating formula like they have been here before I watched a bunch of videos online and they are all doing what I saw other baby parrots doing I fed them last night and again this morning they ran out of the dog carrier I'm keeping them to be fed it was really cute how bad they wanted to be fed. only one doesn't want to take food he will when it gets started but he isn't reaching for it like the others also he has a lot more adult type feathers and isn't quite as friendly I'm thinking he will probably wean first any other additional foods I should be giving them? Also the smallest one is head bobbing as soon as I walk in the room is this normal? I feel like he is almost always bobbing his head it looks purposefully done I'm just wondering if something could be wrong with him? My girlfriend saw him doing it and got me worried. Also I'm going to pick up some millet soon my other birds never touched it but they might be too big

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
The smaller one may need to be fed more often. Either he/she is not getting enough or is enough behind in hatch date or development to need more.

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
I've been filling his crop regularly 2x daily with food in front of him to pick at. Do you think I need to feed him 3x? What's the worst that could happen if I fed them all 3x for the next 2-3 weeks would they have a healthy development? I have noticed some parent raised quakers seem bigger then the hand fed I've seen do there parents feed more regularly or for a longer amount of time?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
If they want to be fed, feed them 3x a day. They will refuse when they've had enough.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Did you clip their wings? The post says they were not clipped and yet the photo shows a hack job. This can really hurt a baby bird if improperly clipped. You'll want to take extra care on preventing crashes now.

How old are the babies?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I forgot to mention - also try overripe bananas - Kiwi loved them and you can mash them with a fork to make them extra mushy and soft.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that they are eating. What formula are you feeding them? You don't want to overfeed so watch the crops and make sure that they are emptying and as suggested in another post monitor the droppings.
Did you get a gram scale so you can monitor their weight?
I used to add a small amount of baby food to the formula (generally used peaches or applesauce).
My babies loved cooked frozen mixed vegetables.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's great that they are eating. What formula are you feeding them? You don't want to overfeed so watch the crops and make sure that they are emptying and as suggested in another post monitor the droppings.
Did you get a gram scale so you can monitor their weight?
I used to add a small amount of baby food to the formula (generally used peaches or applesauce).
My babies loved cooked frozen mixed vegetables.
Though not with baby Quakers, I've added organic baby food to formula for tiel chicks that needed a little help - sweet potato and apple.

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
I figured clipping there wings tight and keeping them closer to the ground was better then allowing them to slam themselves into the walls everytime they got worked up the one who's seeming to be the least friendly was being a real pain with getting out and fluttering around durring feedings also 2 of them looked kinda hacked on before I touched them I tried to get nice clean cuts just below the row of feathers I read online to clip below but we will see its made things easier so far and that's nice but I do hate to take that away from them, also I've been feeding 2-3 times a day twice minimum but if I get a chance on lunch or when I first get home I've been feeding them 3 times. 1 whos feathers seem to look more adult like seems like he's not wanting to be fed as much while the other 3 are still taking mu feedings well I don't think the one will ever wean if I don't do something to make him. lol I'll post pics of them again soon

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
You have gotten great advice, and glad to hear they babies are accepting the formula, their feathers look very malnourished so who knows what he was feeding these babies. Good thing you took them in, I would suggest to have them all vet checked to make sure they are not sick. The begging for food is normal and baby will eventually wean so don't force the weaning because the others wean first. Some are slower than others.

Rolanda

I figured clipping there wings tight and keeping them closer to the ground was better then allowing them to slam themselves into the walls everytime they got worked up the one who's seeming to be the least friendly was being a real pain with getting out and fluttering around durring feedings also 2 of them looked kinda hacked on before I touched them I tried to get nice clean cuts just below the row of feathers I read online to clip below but we will see its made things easier so far and that's nice but I do hate to take that away from them, also I've been feeding 2-3 times a day twice minimum but if I get a chance on lunch or when I first get home I've been feeding them 3 times. 1 whos feathers seem to look more adult like seems like he's not wanting to be fed as much while the other 3 are still taking mu feedings well I don't think the one will ever wean if I don't do something to make him. lol I'll post pics of them again soon
If he's the littlest one it may take longer for him, that's all. He's trying to get his share, that's all. Making up for missed meals:)