• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! might have been sold an unweaned quaker?

Ready to be weaned?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
So I was looking at getting another bird and I found an ad online for a guy who was selling baby quaker parrots for 150 each in central Texas, I decided to get one but when he showed up he had 4 in a box and told me he'd give me half off if I took them all he said he was cutting me a deal because the other person he was meeting backed out on there deal. I looked them over and they looked healthy and they were all really sweet but some of there feathers didn't look like they had come in all the way in some areas (they are fully feathered, just alittle spotty) one more then the rest I'm alittle worried about. I asked him if they were weaned and healthy and he said they were eating on there own and couldn't be healthier 'he then pulled a piece of bread out of his pocket and tossed it in the box' I can't make this up, they actually started tearing at it and I'm not the most cautious person in the world so I said why not and gave him $300 and walked away with 4 mostly feathered birds and none of his personal info instead of the one bird I showed up for they haven't eaten since then and that was yesterday around 2-3 I've tried giving them some of what I feed my current birds I even went to the store and got some cockatiel food to see if they wanted smaller seeds but still nothing. The one keeps bobbing his head at me and I don't know what to try it looks like it wants me to feed him or am I wrong? Any ideas? I called the guys number and got nothing he didn't answer and I called 2-3 times I even sent a couple texts so I think that's a lost cause at this point. He also told me they had there wings clipped but when I got home the one fluttered out of the box onto the curtain rod well above my head so I'm glad I waited until I was inside to open the box. Ive since checked there wings none of which are clipped, I'm ok with being duped and being stuck with 4 unweaned birds because I like the birds and who knows if I have to hand feed them that might even be kinda fun but I wanna make sure I can find something to feed these guys and keep them alive if they aren't really ready to be weaned yet. My first question is do these guys look like they were ready to be weaned? Also can I give them some bread until I can get formula this evening since they at least ate that for the previous guy? And also how much should I feed and how often if they do need to be fed or does anyone know where I can get formula maybe an employee at the store that sells it could be of some help? I think I've seen it at petco but I'm not sure if that stuff will work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That guy took your your good hearted money and RAN! They look almost ready to wean, but no sure here,,get some formula and feed those babies, they Will regress and need you now. Meanwhile I will tag a few members
@saroj12
@Irishj9

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Look young to me...See what they will eat. Soak some good pellets in apple juice or something.
Bread is not the best food but you'll likely may need to get formula & feed it at right temp even if you have to use a spoon.
My mom fed her tiel babies with a spoon.

Could be stolen birds as it does not seem this man fed them for weeks. Maybe parent raised?

Most good bird stores will have formula...

Could always try oatmeal or some sort of grain..

Hope they will be alright.

Best if you get a scale & weigh them to make sure they are not losing weight.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa

Here is a video. I had to handfeed my bird for the first 6 weeks. It was a great bonding exercise. Thank you for taking these birds in

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow, that poor baby has a black tail! Must've been really malnourished. :(

Thank you for taking them in! You are an angel:hug8:

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
Thank all of you so much for your help I'm definitely going to hand feed these guys for at least another week maybe longer while keeping some food in with them in hopes they start pecking at it. @Princessbella what were you feeding yours in your video and how many times a day should I feed every 3-4 hrs 2x a day I have no clue.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Also you probably already know this but, just incase, please make sure you quarantine these birds away from your current birds for at least a month.

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
[QUOTE
Yes I know they are far away from the room I keep my other birds in these guys are in second story spare bedroom my others are in downstairs sun room just for them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Mizzely

Exact is one brand of baby food. I'm not a baby bird person. They should be fed three times a day, until they refuse one feeding then cut out the middle of the day feeding. The formula (important) should be from 105f - 110f. If it's too cold they may get a sour crop and if it's too hot they will get crop burn. Keep other food available to them at all times - fruit, vegetables, bananas are good. Someone who knows something will be along to help you.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thank all of you so much for your help I'm definitely going to hand feed these guys for at least another week maybe longer while keeping some food in with them in hopes they start pecking at it. @Princessbella what were you feeding yours in your video and how many times a day should I feed every 3-4 hrs 2x a day I have no clue.
I was feeding her Kaytee Exact once in the morning and once at night because she was picking at food. You also have to look at the side of the container to see how thick you should make the formula and you have to make sure that it is not too hot. You should also get a small scale and weigh them to make sure that they are gaining weight. I agree with also quarantining them and getting them vet checked. Instead of a syringe, you can also use a spoon if it is easier for you. You should also keep feeding until they refuse the formula. Bella did that at week 13.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Poor babies. They look very malnourished. Defiantly try to hand feed them, get them to a vet, and if possible maybe contact some good breeders for some help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just quickly browsed these websites so maybe they will be helpful to you. Quaker Parrot Handfeeding and Weaning Articles | QuakerParrots.com and The Quaker Parakeet Handbook » Breeding the Quaker (scroll down for info about handfeeding & weaning)

I've never handfed Quakers but have handfed other birds. Kaytee Exact will be fine for handfeeding these guys. You may have to feed them 3 times a day and see how they do. I always syringe fed. I tried spoon feeding but my birds always preferred the syringe. I used 10 cc syringes similar to this:
syringe.jpg

Have you ever handfed before? If you haven't you probably should contact a local breeder or vet to show you how to do it. Spoon feeding may be easier and safer for you and that's probably what you should use rather than syringe feeding. If you go with syringe feeding you place the tip of the syringe into the left side of the bird's beak and angle it towards the right side. This is to prevent aspiration of the food.

I used to test the formula on the back of my wrist just like people do before they give babies their bottles. If you have a thermometer to test the temp that would be better. You can keep the formula in the syringes warm by putting them into a bowl filled with warm/hot water but remember to keep testing the temp of the food. Watch the babies' crops to make sure the food is going in there and do not feed if the crops have not fully emptied.
If you think they might eat some food on their own offer them moistened pellets, fruits, veggies and Cheerios as well as millet.
You also need to get a gram scale and weigh those babies.
Hope things go well and that they will all be OK.

BTW, Petco & Petsmart both sell Kaytee handfeeding formula. Be sure to check the expiration date on the container.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Those babies are definitely not ready to be weaned regardless if they can fly or not. Quakers also tend to regress too so please don't try to rush them! Definitely get a scale and if you don't know how to syringe feed, please use a spoon... You could quickly aspirate a baby if done incorrectly. Shame on this person who sold them to you.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa

Here is an example of spoon feeding

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If you have any doubts about using a syringe to feed them (as in giving them food in the wrong place), I would suggest using a teaspoon or a baby feeding spoon. That will minimize the possibility of feeding incorrectly. Soft things like oatmeal (plain), mashed potatoes regular or sweet, no milk or seasoning). Completely plain applesauce and I've tried organic baby food also. You can also use an eye dropper to give them liquids.

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
I was feeding her Kaytee Exact once in the morning and once at night because she was picking at food. You also have to look at the side of the container to see how thick you should make the formula and you have to make sure that it is not too hot. You should also get a small scale and weigh them to make sure that they are gaining weight. I agree with also quarantining them and getting them vet checked. Instead of a syringe, you can also use a spoon if it is easier for you. You should also keep feeding until they refuse the formula. Bella did that at week 13.
Looks like 2 are picking at what's in there the other 2 are only begging but either way these guys aren't eating like they should and I think they need to be fed. I live just over an hour away from any pet store that will actually carry bird products I have to order food and toys from amazon

Guest507

Moving in
Real Name
Weston brecosky
So I left the house to get some formula and it looks like they ate every bit of the smaller seed it was all husk when I got home, still going to hand feed until they refuse to take feedings but this is a good sign correct

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Very good sign!