• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me understand body language

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Hey yall! Today was a HECTIC DAY. Lately, weve been transitioning Lucy to sleeping days and being up nights. (Vet approved) This morning she went to bed at 2am.. will eventually end up being 7am. Slow transition. I increase it by about 30 min each day depending on how shes doing. I went to bed at 7am, woke up at 2pm and went to make coffee. Then after I started the pot, I went to let my dog out. He just shat all over the floor with bloody diarrhea. Hes 13 years old. After all evening at the vet and 500 dollars later, they chalked it up to be colitis. . So we get home, I shower, eat, get ready to let the stinker out , normally she steps up on my hand when I try to let her out of cage, other times its a no. Today after being in cage all day (sorry Lucy) she poofs up REAL BIG gives me the eye pin, and starts dancing with her head up and down. Used a perch to get her out. Was she mad at me for leaving her caged all day or could it have been my wet hair looked different? So confused...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
weve been transitioning Lucy to sleeping days and being up nights. (Vet approved
Do you have bright daylight temperature lighting for this strange schedule? (If not you really need it).

She is just as confused as you are because you're tampering with her schedule. You've got to expect the unexpected for quite a while until consistency and routine return.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Do you have bright daylight temperature lighting for this strange schedule? (If not you really need it).

She is just as confused as you are because you're tampering with her schedule. You've got to expect the unexpected for quite a while until consistency and routine return.
Yes John :) got her a good UVB. I know. that's what I was thinking. Could just be the schedule. And I cant just cold Turkey her on the wanted schedule because every night she falls asleep around 11 and gets quiet. So this will be a transition. Something else, the vet tech told me when the grey poofs up real big, could also mean they're happy. She said she had one.. seemed odd to me. Shes out right now. I got the bowl that has the treats she likes, shook it and she flew over to me. I gave her a few and clicker trained a bit. Every time she took one from me, I clicked and said good girl! I felt like she had enough of the seeds so i hid the bowl when she wasnt looking. When i told her all gone, she turned her back to me and is now sitting there quiet. .should I pull them back out? I am new to the clicker treat training. Also, when it's time to actually make her work for the treats, what should I do? Dont want to upset her.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker puffs up and grinds his beak when he is happy and in a good mood, other times he dive bombs my hand and carries on like a demented fool when he wants to play then rolls onto his back and screeches while I tickle his feet and belly.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Tinker puffs up and grinds his beak when he is happy and in a good mood, other times he dive bombs my hand and carries on like a demented fool when he wants to play then rolls onto his back and screeches while I tickle his feet and belly.
Oh God that's a dream. Lol. See her previous owners held her like a football right in front of me then handed her to me and she stepped right up on my hand. I'm hopeful that will be her and I one day.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't clicker.

The only person that will know your bird's body language is you. It takes time and familiarity (on both sides). There is no shortcut. Puffed up means nothing without the context and situation (you've got to be there and see it) because it could be/is different every time.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
I don't clicker.

The only person that will know your bird's body language is you. It takes time and familiarity (on both sides). There is no shortcut. Puffed up means nothing without the context and situation (you've got to be there and see it) because it could be/is different every time.
That is very true. The other day she puffed up yet put her head down. I got a 3 second scratch. YAY! Some days she is nice, some days not so much. Either way, I'm in it to find out! It's only been 1.5 weeks having her so I'd say I've made some progress in that little time.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I don't clicker.

I don't clicker either.
I snap my fingers when I want to get Tinkers attention and hold my hand up and wag my fingers to get him to come. Works 90% of the time except near bed time. LOL
He and I are still learning each others signals. We are both having fun and that's all that counts.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
I don't clicker either.
I snap my fingers when I want to get Tinkers attention and hold my hand up and wag my fingers to get him to come. Works 90% of the time except near bed time. LOL
He and I are still learning each others signals. We are both having fun and that's all that counts.
See, idk if the clicker is neccesary. I see that it works for a lot of birds but not sure how to really use it with a bird im not bonded with yet. I was just eating pizza and she flew to my shoulder but i moved my shoulder and she stood on the back of the chair. (fear of her biting my face) . SHES SUCH A FATTY OMG. Lol! Now shes in there talking and she said "whatchu doin!?" in my voice!! :) Im a happy momma right now ! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The clicker is meant to be clicked before the treat not after the treat is given. There are lots of articles on how to properly clicker train, if it is not done correctly then there pretty much is no use doing it at all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The clicker has nothing to do with a bond. It is a bridge between action and reward. Delay in reward after action makes training slower sometimes which is why clickers work well. It's immediate confirmation for the pet that they've completed the task.

Color temp and brightness are much more important than UV for birds because all the info I can find for UV lights and birds basically shows they are worthless for UV/D3 production. A bulb colour with temperature of 6500K and a CRI of 96% will be most like sunlight.

As for the body language... It's hard to know for sure without a video and even then it's not a guarantee lol. Everyone always told me that eye pinning meant bad, but Ripley does it when he is excited too. But... Usually puffy + eye pinning for him is stay away language lol.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
The clicker has nothing to do with a bond. It is a bridge between action and reward. Delay in reward after action makes training slower sometimes which is why clickers work well. It's immediate confirmation for the pet that they've completed the task.

Color temp and brightness are much more important than UV for birds because all the info I can find for UV lights and birds basically shows they are worthless for UV/D3 production. A bulb colour with temperature of 6500K and a CRI of 96% will be most like sunlight.

As for the body language... It's hard to know for sure without a video and even then it's not a guarantee lol. Everyone always told me that eye pinning meant bad, but Ripley does it when he is excited too. But... Usually puffy + eye pinning for him is stay away language lol.
Yeah, I just gave up on the clicker. As long as shes coming near me im happy. And as for tricks, shes cool enough already! LOL Thank you for the info on the light! :) Were thinking about buying her an aviary too. This morning she stepped up out the cage again so back to being a good bird! :)