• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me decide

Ralph dacanay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ralph louell anthony j. Dacanay
So i already have a cockatiel that i raised since its 3 weeks od now shes already 6 weeks and on january 30 my birthday i was planning to get another bird and i dont know whats better on training a sun or green cheek? Because i have trained m cockatiel to freeflight she already freeflighted for 2 times now and still not that a great flyer because her tail is still half the full length. And noise is not a problem in the house. And can i have an opinion on your experience with both sun and green cheeks. Hanks in advance

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
January 30th is tomorrow so I REALLY have to recommend NOT getting another bird then since it's always best to do as much research as possible on the potential species beforehand. For example, by doing some more research you will find that there is no difference in the "training potential" of Green-cheeked and Sun Conures. How well a bird is trained depends 100% on the person doing the training. Effective training depends on a trainers's knowledge (of training techniques), experience, and their ability to recognize/understand bird body language and motivations.

My other reason for recommending you wait is the fact that you just got your other bird 3 weeks ago and she is still not fully grown yet (or weaned?). It's easy to get lots of birds, one right after the other. But having to deal with taming/bonding with/training multiple birds all at the same time can be difficult. Your first bird isn't fully grown yet and so you haven't had a real taste of just how messy, loud, hormonal, needy, etc a single bird can be.

For both of these reasons I have to say I think you should wait and prepare yourself.

Ralph dacanay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Okay ill wait but whats better a sun or green cheek? Whats more cuddly? And better for a begginer?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
No one can tell you which species is more cuddly. Whether or not a bird is cuddly completely depends on the bird's individual personality.

I mean, I know you said noise is not a problem but personally I find Sun conures to be VERY loud. All conures tend to screech at a pitch that can be grating/piecing but Suns seem to combine this with a surprising volume. As an aratinga conure they are also prone to screaming more often than GCCs. That and their size difference (Suns are larger) are probably the biggest differences between the species.

So whether or not one or the other is better for a beginner depends on your own preferences.

Ralph dacanay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
I guest ill be getting a gcc then