• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me come up with a recipe

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hi all!

So I just ground up a bunch of stuff (some carrots and broccoli into a veggie mix, walnuts and almonds into a nut mix for a topping treat for mash, and I ground up some of Chirp's pellets) and I'm thinking of maybe making some birdie bread or something as a fun treat!

So does anyone have any good recipes that can be made with stuff in the average household? I've got-
  • Pellets (Zupreem natural)
  • Seed mix (zupreem smart selects)
  • carrots
  • broccoli
  • banana
  • probably a bunch of herbs
  • gluten free pasta
  • brown rice
  • white rice
  • Chop with broccoli, green beans, green bell pepper, carrots, steamed acorn squash, steamed sweet potato
  • Probably a bunch of other stuff, I'll have to see what I can scrounge up
So does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm open to pretty much any suggestion, but if I need to get anything I'll have to run out tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I also just remembered that I have frozen cranberries too!

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I'm very unoriginal. I just blend the veggies into a smoothie texture and put over pasta or rice or mix with bird bread. A few veggies that my birds will actually eat of their own volition I don't blend. You can also make birdie crackers and spread some mash over it.

I buy mini bell peppers to stuff with food sometimes (mash, bean sprouts, rice, etc). My IRN really likes squash and zucchini noodles with sesame seeds.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm very unoriginal. I just blend the veggies into a smoothie texture and put over pasta or rice or mix with bird bread. A few veggies that my birds will actually eat of their own volition I don't blend. You can also make birdie crackers and spread some mash over it.

I buy mini bell peppers to stuff with food sometimes (mash, bean sprouts, rice, etc). My IRN really likes squash and zucchini noodles with sesame seeds.
That's kind of the sort of thing I had in mind! One thing though, how does one make birdie bread or birdie crackers? Sorry if it's obvious and I'm just missing it. I've never actually cooked for Chirp before, just made chop and stuff.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
That's kind of the sort of thing I had in mind! One thing though, how does one make birdie bread or birdie crackers? Sorry if it's obvious and I'm just missing it. I've never actually cooked for Chirp before, just made chop and stuff.
You can buy the mixes like Harrison's or AO and use those or you can play around with it. Usually I go with egg whites, water, ground flax seed, and whole wheat flour as a base and mix until I come out with something that looks akin to bread. Crackers are easy as I just place a very thin layer of that into a baking dish and bake until crispy but not burnt. If you use a straw and poke holes through the middle you can also string them for the birds to nibble at.

I don't have an actual recipe, sorry if that's not helpful.

Edit: If you grind up pellets it can help serve as flour. You can also use some different types of flour like rice flour.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You can buy the mixes like Harrison's or AO and use those or you can play around with it. Usually I go with egg whites, water, ground flax seed, and whole wheat flour as a base and mix until I come out with something that looks akin to bread. Crackers are easy as I just place a very thin layer of that into a baking dish and bake until crispy but not burnt. If you use a straw and poke holes through the middle you can also string them for the birds to nibble at.

I don't have an actual recipe, sorry if that's not helpful.

Edit: If you grind up pellets it can help serve as flour. You can also use some different types of flour like rice flour.
Oh! I see! So would you then just throw whatever (seeds, pellets, veggies, etc.) into the base?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Oh! I see! So would you then just throw whatever (seeds, pellets, veggies, etc.) into the base?
Something like that. And if it was too mushy just add a bit more flour. I just do a little at a time and then slowly add all the ingredients. I'm pretty sure I have a few books with some recipes. I'll see if I can find some tomorrow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bought a bread mix on Amazon and mixed in some veggies and berries and ground egg shells. Also there is a wonderful recipe book for parrots put out by Phoenix Landing organization. It's on their web page. Come to think of it I should put some of them here.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I bought a bread mix on Amazon and mixed in some veggies and berries and ground egg shells. Also there is a wonderful recipe book for parrots put out by Phoenix Landing organization. It's on their web page. Come to think of it I should put some of them here.
Oh cool! I'll have to take a look!