• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Maccha is attacking my sister.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Maccha has recently started flying at my sister's face when ever she walks past his cage, or is sitting on his favourite couch. Is there anything I can do to stop Maccha from dive bombing her?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Time for an attitude adjustment and trim the wings a bit. Start off with just a couple on each side, then doing this over the bed, let him go and see if he flys. You don't want him dropping like a rock, just an gentle glide down. Doing this will keep your sister safe.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you cage Maccha when your sister is around? Clipping his wings wont solve the answer. It's like putting air into a flat tire with a nail in it. So to speak, clipping his wings wont solve the issue.

You need to do some training exercises with Maccha and your sister. This may require teaching Maccha to station and ignore your sister in the same room, or even having your sister do some training exercises with Maccha inside the cage.

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I don't feel comfortable clipping Maccha's wings. He gets so much joy from flying I feel it would be devastating for him to be clipped.

I will definitely start working on some training exercises if it can keep him from using his aggression towards my sister. Thanks @Monica!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If it gets dangerous for your sister, I agree with Renee, ground him! Just enough of a trim that he can't get that height, speed and dexterity.

Feathers grow back.

More birds lose their homes from possessive aggression and attacks than any other reason.

Train for now, but keep in mind a face bite can be dangerous and disfiguring, and may cause your sister to start to fear birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you think Maccha is just being hormonal? I know with tiels they suggest increasing their sleep/darkness time by a couple hours a day for about 2 weeks to help get the hormones back in check. Also is there anything different about your sister that may be setting him off? Different hair style? Glasses, etc?

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Do you think Maccha is just being hormonal? I know with tiels they suggest increasing their sleep/darkness time by a couple hours a day for about 2 weeks to help get the hormones back in check. Also is there anything different about your sister that may be setting him off? Different hair style? Glasses, etc?
I personally believe he's just being hormonal and attacking my sister because she is encroaching on his territory. They've had a terrible relationship from the start as he was jealous of the attention she received from her boyfriend (Maccha loves my sisters boyfriend). Now I think he's gotten a bit hormonal, maybe wants to mate, and doesn't like my sister coming near what he considers his. She hasn't changed her appearance, or really anything lately. Maybe he can sense her negativity directed towards him or something? Animals are pretty perceptive and he can most likely sense the feelings she's putting out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I personally believe he's just being hormonal and attacking my sister because she is encroaching on his territory. They've had a terrible relationship from the start as he was jealous of the attention she received from her boyfriend (Maccha loves my sisters boyfriend). Now I think he's gotten a bit hormonal, maybe wants to mate, and doesn't like my sister coming near what he considers his. She hasn't changed her appearance, or really anything lately. Maybe he can sense her negativity directed towards him or something? Animals are pretty perceptive and he can most likely sense the feelings she's putting out.
I think that all sounds possible. My unbelievably sweet tiel once went through a severe hormonal period where he started attacking my fiancé. As soon as he would walk in the room Sunny would attack his feet. I increased his hours of darkness and I also started giving him Herb Salad. He returned to normal shortly thereafter and he never went through as bad of a hormonal stage again. Once Maccha calms down, maybe your sister can work with him a little? I do believe they feed off of our emotions. Having her give him some special treats that no once else is allowed to give him might help?

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Time for an attitude adjustment and trim the wings a bit. Start off with just a couple on each side, then doing this over the bed, let him go and see if he flys. You don't want him dropping like a rock, just an gentle glide down. Doing this will keep your sister safe.
I think I'd try something else before I'd try clipping his wings. That can cause serious psychological problems - especially if Maccha loves flying.
I completely agree with @Monica to try station training before clipping.

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I think that all sounds possible. My unbelievably sweet tiel once went through a severe hormonal period where he started attacking my fiancé. As soon as he would walk in the room Sunny would attack his feet. I increased his hours of darkness and I also started giving him Herb Salad. He returned to normal shortly thereafter and he never went through as bad of a hormonal stage again. Once Maccha calms down, maybe your sister can work with him a little? I do believe they feed off of our emotions. Having her give him some special treats that no once else is allowed to give him might help?
Definitely going to start implementing an earlier night time and giving him some more herbs if that will help him. I'm also looking into buying AviCalm or something like that if that might help as well. :) Thanks for the advice.

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I think I'd try something else before I'd try clipping his wings. That can cause serious psychological problems - especially if Maccha loves flying.
I completely agree with @Monica to try station training before clipping.
I'm definitely going to hold off on clipping until it's the very last last last resort. Maccha was a rescue and is already plucked with his wings, head, and tail the only feathered parts on his body. I don't want to cause him any more trouble or issues then he already has. He's been through so much already that the last thing I want to do is take away his ability to fly. I worry that without flight he would sink into a depression.