• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP: Luca needs a new cage--like yesterday!

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
We have a 5 year old green cheek conure, Luca, and he has officially destroyed his cage. We got the cage used, and always intended for it to be "just until we find something better" and here we are 5 years later and the powder coating is chipping off, so he needs a new one ASAP!

For reference this is his current cage: Economy Play Top Bird Cage (20'x20') - Free Shipping Today - Overstock.com - 16851059

So here is my dilemma: cage shopping makes me anxious. There are SO many options and brands and things to consider. I need some help narrowing down the options so that I can make a decision, quickly and confidently.

I started by making a list of "wants" and "needs":
WANTS:
- 1/2 inch bar spacing. We can go larger, but I'm not sure how big is still safe.
- dome or play top. Flat top is OK, but I would prefer one of these.
- stainless steel. I know it's pricey, but it's like my dream cage.

NEEDS:
- larger than his current cage (20in x 20in x 24in, about 5 cubic feet).
- last at least the next 10 years.
- 3 food doors/cups.
- no open top cages!

Which brands should I consider? What options am I not considering that are important? What sites offer fair pricing? O.O

We don't have much time to shop around and get a great deal, so I know we are going to pay more, but in our house price is of no concern when bird safety is the goal!

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Thanks @ThatsFowlPlay!

I saw someone post this cage in another thread: Large Cage for Small Birds Does any one have this cage, or a similar one? How do you fids like it?

Of course I think Luca will love it, but I also know that it is possible for a cage to be too big!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not a play top, sorry, but the Avian Adventures Loro Flight Cage. Avian Adventures Loro Flight Bird Cage & Reviews | Wayfair I have that and the 32 X 23 A&E and I really prefer the Avian Adventures cages. The Loro comes with a peaked roof which you do not need to use and then it is a flat top. You can always attach perches to the top to create a play top. My Dusky Conure is in the Loro.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can always consider getting a custom made stainless steel cage from a manufacturer such as Expandable Habitats.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That HQ cage looks amazing. I would also consider an HQ flight cage or an HQ double flight cage. My maroon belly lived in one for 10 yrs and loved it. I have my budgies in the double flight cage and they seem very happy. I think the price is reasonable at 350 or so for the double flight cage. The top isnt a real play top, but you can attach things to the top to make it into one.

I dont know who makes ss .5 spacing. Expandable Habitats stopped making the smaller spaced cages, but you could always call and ask.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cages don't exist out in the wild.... so technically, you can't go "too big" as long as you have room for such a cage!

At minimum, I'd recommend a 32 x 21 flight cage from either A&E or HQ Cages. Next up, there's the 30x30 "You and Me" cage from Petco. After that, options become limited.

Centurion Cage & Aviaries | Cages
Centurion Cage & Aviaries | Cages

If you are intent on an SS cage, options are even more limited, as not many people create large SS enclosures for small birds.