• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Identifying: Buffons Or Military

TimMacaw

Moving in
Yes, although he has only been lightly misted. I am trying to draw up plans for a pvc shower perch, which will be nice.
Has he been in the shower with you yet? Showering with macaws has to be one of life's finer experiences.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Pictures are a crapshoot. My BTM looks like a B&G in some pictures, but in person, he's a metallic teal. One of the pictures in the top post looked kind of chartreuse, but the third was definitely military green. Healthy militaries are usually iridescent, which explains that yellow wash in one picture. The eye color is problematic, too, and it can be hard to see that eye ring. The head and tail indicate military to me. When I say "head", I'm including skull shape and beak shape and breadth. The tail of a Buffons is more orange than maroon or dark red. Based on these factors, I'd say you have a lovely military.

When you've seen a Buffons in person, there is no comparison. The size and color are unmistakable. Beautiful bird, regardless of species. :)

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I love them Buford macaws...down on the corner , out in the street , billy and the po boys are playing so pitch a nickel and catch a beat lol.

Beautiful bird!

20Parrot

Moving in
Real Name
heidi fleiss
Hello folks,
I used to be a member here several years ago, and decided to come back now that I have another bird. I had always been one to keep small birds, however this time around I've got myself Jelly. I traded one of my German Shepherd pups with championship lineage for him. He can be a bit moody at times, but has only nipped once, which was clearly my fault. However, that was expected and I am just happy he is content with perching on me while I walk around the house. He is supposed to be 7 years old, and I am his 3rd owner. I was told that he was a greater green macaw, although, being that I have never owned a macaw I am having a hard time trying to get to the bottom of whether he is a Buffons or a Military. He feels fairly heavy weighing maybe 3lbs or so, just guessing. I can't get him into the vet until the 18th, but I'll have an accurate weight at that point. His feather's are a bit rough, and my phone's camera is crap but if anyone could help me with identifying him correctly, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if more photo's are necessary feel free to ask for specifics and I can get right on it. Thank You!

This photo has poor resolution/bad lighting, but figured I'd post it anyways.
I have a male Buffon it’s my second buffon’s. The most visible difference besides the size is the blue eyes. They have a distinctive voice.
I would love to find a female so he knows or a male that there is someone else like him out there.

Attachments

20Parrot

Moving in
Real Name
heidi fleiss
My Military had a light ring around her eye years ago, someone had your same question and I took a clear picture of it. She is 61 now and her eyes have that cataract haze about them so it's hard to see. The two people I tagged have a good eye for the difference. Big blues owns both so you can't get better than that.

20Parrot

Moving in
Real Name
heidi fleiss
They have a procedure and can remove cataracts unless it’s the retina is the underlying issue

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a male Buffon it’s my second buffon’s. The most visible difference besides the size is the blue eyes. They have a distinctive voice.
I would love to find a female so he knows or a male that there is someone else like him out there.
This is a fairly old thread, you’ll most likely not get a reply. Might be best to start your own thread.