• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! I need to help a fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Taking the substrate out and replacing it with sand would be nice, but you would have to do some planning. Either Duncan would have to live in a temporary QT, or you would have to risk his life to a new cycle. Breaking down the tank's substrate with Duncan in the tank is not an option. It will kill him. If you can monitor the tank every day without fail, until the tank recycles it will be ok. Keeping the filter viable while you do it, would be the most important thing. You could put Duncan in a bucket, with some of the tank's water, and hang the filter on the side. Then once the tank is reset, you could use Dr. Tim's One And Only to give the bacteria a kick, replace the filter on the tank, and monitor it every day for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It will at the very least, go through a quick cycle while the good bacteria gets replaced in the substrate. Another option to dry sand, may be an instant type that comes with the bacteria already in it. Then you would have no problems at all. You would still have to take him out while you did this though, as removing the substrate can release hidden toxins. I added the Instant Tahitian Moon sand to my 90 gallon, with the fish in the tank, but I did not have any substrate..Tahitian moon sand is not true sand, but rather a very fine black gravel. He might like that, and I have a few extra bags.;) I am glad he is doing so well!!:)
Oh wow! Yeah I don't think I can get him a QT, we just have the one and I have no idea where I'd stick him in between things. And I'm basically sure they'd raise hell if I left him in the bucket. So the best option would be the Tahitian moon sand so I wouldn't upset him. I read that they love to burrow in stuff and I think he'd enjoy it a lot more then the hard gravel he has now that's all icked over. When I was skimming a little last night I found out it's infested through and through. Blech. How long should I wait before i do that? If you could spare a bag of your moon sand I might just love you forever. :heart: We don't seem to have many good fish places around here and I'm trying to keep my expenses down right now. If you let me know shipping I can paypal you for it.

And what's my next step? I'm thinking once i get his decorations and such changed out and the filter up and running (I thankfully found the filter on amazon whoo! So when it gets here it'll be replaced) I can start. Well that and get a pH testing kit to monitor things.

I was thinking of this one Amazon.com: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 34 Fresh Water Aquarium Master Test Kit for Testing High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate Levels: Pet Supplies Is this one good? Or do you have one you'd recommend above that?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He sure is a handsome little fella! :D

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Thank you, Kristen for caring about little Duncan, and thanks to everyone else for teaching me a little about fishies. I have always wondered about them and some like Carol's Zen are so so pretty.........................:laughing12:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I know! This thread is teaching me so much already. :D Tonight was slow so I was able to do some work on the tank to try and get the algae issue under control. Tonight's list of things accomplished:

-I got the new filter in so I followed the instructions and got it and the little bag of white tablets in. I put the black one aside for now since I'm not sure what'll it will do until I get a pH detector
-Pulled a lot of water from the tank to put in a bucket with an air stone to remove Duncan from the tank for a little bit. (thankfully not nearly so long as last time!)
-Removed all the decorations and used a bleach/water solution to scrub scrub scrub. And then rinsed them very thoroughly. They're still pretty sad looking, but they'll replaced next week or the week after with something better and a bit thicker for him to hide around.
-Used the new algae scrubber to work on the sides of the tank and stirred up the gravel to skim all the algae I could find out of it.
-Put everything back into place, transferred Duncan to a bag and floated him while adding the water I took back back in and let everything run for about 20 minutes
-Put duncan back in and watched him flicker all over.

He's been out a LOT more lately rather then hiding. Even my second shift guy noticed he's getting bolder. I told John I named his Duncan after the Highlander and he played the theme song to it for our fish. :lol: No new pictures just yet, the tank doesn't look that much different in the pictures, but in person you can see the little places where I've managed to get the worst of the algae up.

Next up for tonight, cleaning the OUTSIDE of the tank. It's all whitish and nasty looking. I may pick up some good wood polish for the stand as well so it looks better. I did notice a little more algae growth since last time, but not a lot. Most of it is probably centered near the water heater. Oh I also turned that off, took it out and scrubbed it down because it would no longer suction with the algae clinging too it. Whew!

Last edited:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I loved reading this thread. I knew absolutely nothing about fish a few minutes ago.:dance5:Very educational.
Thank you for all your work to make Duncan a happier little fish. :heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so glad Duncan is enjoying his clean tank! So glad you helped him :)

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Well he's not enjoying to cleaning. :rolleyes: I wish I could explain that I keep messing with his tank for a reason.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sounds great! I did not realize you named him Duncan after the Highlander. I met Adrian Paul once a long time ago...yummy.:p
I will send a pm and we can discuss the substrate.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I prefer individual test kits over master test kits, for accuracy, but the API is a great choice.:highfive:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Can you link me to an individual testing kit you'd prefer? And yeah, Duncan after the Highlander. After living in all that gunk AND making it past me cleaning it, I'm pretty sure he's immortal. ;) And mmm yeah Adrian Paul. :cloud9: I have the box DVD set of them. That man is sexy in a kilt!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, give me a bit of time and I will gather the links. It may also be cheaper to seek the substrate out locally, since they are 20#lb bags, it will be pricey for me to ship it, as opposed to a company that ships at a flat rate. I will pm you my phone number, so we can discuss the crucial steps before you make the change, and I can help you learn the test kits. They are a bit daunting at first.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here is the Instant Tahitian moon sand. make sure you get INSTANT. Petco carries it, and they may be able to bring it in for you, or they may have it.
It is on sale online right now. Let me go see how many bags you need.
CaribSea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon Gravel at PETCO

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
To make a 2" sand bed, you will need 30 Lbs, a 20 Lb bag will give you just shy of a 1.5" sandbed{actually 23 lbs to make it even} I think one bag will suffice, since you are on a budget.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Awesome! And the prices at petco are way better then what I found (around $25-30) elsewhere, but I may have been looking at different things. :lol: Everything is ordered and on its way! I'll send you back my phone number and let you know what day I decide to do things. I know you get up really early in the AM from all of this so I'll time things so if I end up getting all panicky and confused and/or staring at the testing kit results in confusion I'll be able to get a consult about what to do. I can't wait! :dance4: I ordered some really nice little decorations that are small enough to not take up a lot of room, but still let him hide around. It's going to look awesome!

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Just went outside and found out my order has come in! Though I'm a little unimpressed with the packaging. Thankfully only the extra foam I ordered had its box crushed. :huh: I ordered this PETCO Asian Gazebo Aquatic Décor at PETCO as one of the decorations. It's pretty cute I think. :lol: But the fake plants I ordered are far smaller then I thought they would be. :o: Ah well, live and learn, they'll still make nice little additions. Hopefully tonight is slow so I can set to work on the tank and bring around some more changes!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very cool! When I have time{making birdy bread right now} I can link you to some super nice fake plants.;) I can't wait to see Duncan having a nap in his 'pagoda':D

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
That would be awesome Carole! And away I go to give Duncan's tank an all new look. Here's hoping he doesn't laugh at my interior decorating skills. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.