• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! I have an egg!

Nev

Walking the driveway
I have a pair of cockatiels that now have an egg they're sitting on. What should I do to help? What do they need?

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Are you trying to breed them? If not, you can leave the egg for a couple of days, then when you get the chance, boil it for a few minutes and replace it. She will likely lay more than one egg.

Nev

Walking the driveway
No, I haven't been trying to breed. I got them as a pair 3 years ago and today... surprise!! Although, I welcome the experience of handfeeding a baby, I know very little.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No, I haven't been trying to breed. I got them as a pair 3 years ago and today... surprise!! Although, I welcome the experience of handfeeding a baby, I know very little.
No you don't. You like the "idea" but the reality is not anything like your vision. Please take Tim's advice.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If you want the babies, make sure you are supporting them nutritionally with good pellets, great fresh foods and mineral, especially calcium supplements. They will do the rest, following their instincts.

If you do knot want babies, refrigerate the egg for 12 hours to abort the embryo. Then give the sterilized egg back to them. Abort any other eggs they lay ads well; it could be up to five or even seven. Refrigeration of eggs dessicated the embryo as well as the cold stunning the embryos. My vet suggested it over boiling because it preserves the eggs better. Boiled eggs will eventually tpt and smell; no smell of mess with refrigerator eggs.

If you decide to breed, realize you are increasing your flock size by another 12 years!

Nev

Walking the driveway
I actually do welcome the opportunity. My fids are my entire world and i have never taken any decision regarding them lighty. I have no misconceptions of the committment it takes to feed the babies around the clock - however, as far as housing, brooders, etc.. I have no clue. I was hoping for good resources and information on the subject so that I can research and make the best decision for me and my birds.
Thank you for your opinion.

Nev

Walking the driveway
If you want the babies, make sure you are supporting them nutritionally with good pellets, great fresh foods and mineral, especially calcium supplements. They will do the rest, following their instincts.

If you do knot want babies, refrigerate the egg for 12 hours to abort the embryo. Then give the sterilized egg back to them. Abort any other eggs they lay ads well; it could be up to five or even seven. Refrigeration of eggs dessicated the embryo as well as the cold stunning the embryos. My vet suggested it over boiling because it preserves the eggs better. Boiled eggs will eventually tpt and smell; no smell of mess with refrigerator eggs.

If you decide to breed, realize you are increasing your flock size by another 12 years!

Thank you! Good info! Ages on my birds range from 8 years - 65yrs. The age of my 'tiels is unknown. Very good point on the additional 12 years, but that won't be a problem... my flock will definetely outlive me and I have arrangements for their care afterwards.

Will the 'tiels need extra protein? They eat roudybush pellets and love their chop. Would you give extra dark leafy greens for calcium or a product to add in the food?
TIA!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Look in the old cockatiels section for more info on breeding. Lots of info there.

If you wait until the birds are two weeks old, you can pull them from the nest anf start hand feeding then. This is how many breeders manage their babies, including the breeder who raised my Senegal, the most well raised hand fed bird I have ever interacted with. I suggest you buy a book on cockatiels and read the breeding section. Then call your vet and set up a way to have hands on experience with hand feeding the day you pull the babies. By the way, you pull the chicks early in the morning, before the parents feed them so they are hungry when you introduce them to hand feeding. An inside trick breeders use I got from a book.

As I got older, I got less enamored with hand feeding as a taming method and I now use co-parenting for taming. Lots less mess, handling chicks from the age of 15 days every day. Works well for hand tame chicks who know they are birds but still like humans and seek interaction with humans regularly. But I agree hand feeding iis the best taming, imprinting methods for instantly tame pets.

Good luck and have fun!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Do your cockatiels get seeds as part of their diet???

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would give millet now and some egg food. Read and inform yourself about breeding. Do you have a nest box?