• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help.. I didn't know candles were bad!

teki9000

Moving in
I have a 2 year old cockatiel I have had since she was 6 months. She has been having watery poop so I started researching bird illness, and found out about candles. I have a lavender scented essential oil candle, among others, I have burned a handful of times in a small room with her in it... I feel so awful. I am a paranoid, anxious person and I have researched and watched so many bird and cockatiel videos I can't believe I hadn't seen something about it. I don't know what to do at this point and I am looking for advice. She is not hand tamed, but friendly and likes to play. I open her cage every day and some days she doesn't want to come out, but most days she will. I haven't noticed any change in her behavior really, a few times she has shivered a little, here and there. Obviously the damage has been done... but what should I do now?

On another note, we have a new, hand fed, adorable, loving 4 month old male cockatiel. He is in a separate room as I am quarantining him, no candle exposure. I was worried about introducing them since she has the watery stools, and now I am not sure if I should? I thought I was relatively educated on pet birds but now I feel bad... any tips on where to go from here would help. Thanks!

teki9000

Moving in
Kiwi, my female, has been to the vet when she was a baby and recently to get her nails trimmed and wings clipped since she was flying around and banging into stuff so often. The new one hasn't yet but I planned on once he was settled in.

I plan on calling the vet tomorrow, but it's Sunday so thought i would come here for some tips?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unfortunately, there is not much to be done once they have been exposed. A vet visit would be good so the vet can perhaps determine if the respiratory system have been compromised. Here is a video of how a bird's respiratory system works - watch it and never ever expose your birds to Volatile Organic Compounds again.

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="The Avian Respiratory System - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your cockatiel that has clipped wings should learn how to safely fly in a small room that has been made bird safe. Now that the flight feathers have been cut this bird will be totally dependent upon you and his flight muscles will atrophy somewhat.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Is the bird eating, drinking and acting normally? If so just try to calm down for today. Tomorrow schedule an appointment for her. The vet can check her respiratory function and also look for infections or other things that could cause the watery droppings.

After she has gone in then take your new bird in for a wellness check. You don't want to take them together because they will be sharing an airspace in your car and at the vet's.

teki9000

Moving in
Your cockatiel that has clipped wings should learn how to safely fly in a small room that has been made bird safe. Now that the flight feathers have been cut this bird will be totally dependent upon you and his flight muscles will atrophy somewhat.
Her wings were not clipped until she was 2 and already knew how to fly, and the clipping has not stopped her from flying. She still flies around quite a bit.

teki9000

Moving in
Is the bird eating, drinking and acting normally? If so just try to calm down for today. Tomorrow schedule an appointment for her. The vet can check her respiratory function and also look for infections or other things that could cause the watery droppings.

After she has gone in then take your new bird in for a wellness check. You don't want to take them together because they will be sharing an airspace in your car and at the vet's.
She has been eating and drinking and her behavior hasn't really changed.. I was just freaked out when i read birds have dropped dead instantly from candles, I haven't even burned one in days and wasn't doing it daily. Just never knew.

teki9000

Moving in
Also, pretty sure the etiquette states no trolling. Everyone has opinions of their own on things like wing clipping. I made the choice to do it once as I am trying to get her to stop biting and tame her. She came from a bad place where no one cared for her and I gave her a loving home where she is free to come out of her cage and explore every day, I don't mind her flying, and she still can.

My question was looking for advice or maybe someone who had experienced something similar. I made a mistake, which happens to everyone. My bird will be going to the vet, I was looking for comfort on here not criticism, so thanks for your opinion but was a little dramatic Miss "Lady Jane".

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Let me start by saying that I don't and never will burn candles with cheeky because Ive been warned they're dangerous. That was not the case when I had my cockatiel of 19 years. I burned candles of all kinds in my apartment and then my house with him in the room. He never showed any signs of any illness, resperitory or otherwise and he lived healthy for 19 years. I'm definatly not recommending anyone burn candle, there is no reason to take chances that can be avoided, but it may not be not be what made your bird sick. It never hurt bogie

Last edited:

teki9000

Moving in
Let me start by saying that I don't and never will burn candles with cheeky because Ive been warned they're dangerous. That was not the case when I had my cockatiel of 19 years. I burned candles of all kinds in my apartment and then my house with him in the room. He never showed any signs of any illness, resperitory or otherwise and he lived healthy for 19 years. I'm defiantly not recommending anyone burn candle, there is no reason to take chances that can be avoided, but it may not be not be what made your bird sick. It never hurt bogie
edge
Thank you this is the exact kind of response I was hoping for. Someone who had done the same and their bird was okay. I won’t do it again but I needed to know there were birds out there who were okay after !

Kiwi is acting normal but I was needing reassurance.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
With most airborne toxins, there's either an immediate dramatic reaction or signs of chronic inflammation over the long term. You'd have seen an acute reaction long before now and since you won't use the candles again, chances are good that any chronic inflammation can heal.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
@teki9000 hows the bird?

Btw, there are generally more likely reasons for watery poop than a lavender candle being burned a couple times like too much fruit today or polydipsia because the bird is febrile or organ issues from inadequate diet.

I’m honestly dissapointed people chose to chime in on your wing clip rather than help you narrow down potential health concerns.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If you like the flickering peaceful candles as do I, opt for the battery operated LED's they are great. You get the ambiance of the candle light, but they are SAFE! And make sure they are not a scented wax coated candle, love mine.

Especially at Holiday's I use one in my bathroom and guests cannot knock it over! Never worry about any fires too. Safe to everyone. :)