• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help getting a girl off her nest?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I really want to check on Triss' eggs, but she's being a brat. Usually, she'll leave her nest to hang out with me. Except when I want to clean her cage or check on her eggs.

It's like she has a sixth sense or something. The second I even think about peeking in her nest, she gives me the stink eye, weaves her head back and forth, puffs up and makes a beeline for her cage.

When I had my brother over, I had him tap on the side of the cage to distract her while I lifted the top and swiped the box out for a look.

This wasn't a planned breeding, but he's hoping for a chick. I found a cracked egg in the area they poop in, and I want to see if it was a new one or not, and check the remaining egg/s for fertility or cracks.

It's kind of difficult to check. Their cage is a rabbit hutch and she decided to start nesting in a long cardboard box. I have to lift the cage off of its base, pick up the box, and somehow keep her from biting me all at the same time. The boys don't bother me one bit, but she's not afraid to go all Texas Chainsaw Massacre on me if I try anything.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Managed to do a shell count and rescue one that she poop'd out behind her box. We've got five so far.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Can you get a picture of the setup? It would be good if we could devise a way to close up her entryway to the box so that you can do what you need to without interference from Mama Shark.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Makes me glad I have finches! I can lift ‘em out, look, and put them back - usually without a change in their posture.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Can you get a picture of the setup? It would be good if we could devise a way to close up her entryway to the box so that you can do what you need to without interference from Mama Shark.
I'll have to get a pic sometime tomorrow. I don't want to deal with a grumpy Triss in the morning.

There's no real way to close off the box, unfortunately. It's a snuggie box, and she's chewed out an extra couple of holes just to make things harder. :banghead:

Makes me glad I have finches! I can lift ‘em out, look, and put them back - usually without a change in their posture.
Omg, I wiiiiish. The boys are a lot more tolerant than she is. I had to open the side of the box where four of her eggs were and draw her to her front door several times before I was fast enough to sneak her egg back in. She'd come tearing across the box to get at me.

Triss even chewed at the flap, so now I have to be very careful with picking up the box if I don't want her to nail my palm. She's like a criminal Mastermind here.