• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! GCC and FSC - Unexpected Clutch

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He/she is so CUTE!:heart: So adorable!:heart:Maybe Someone of your friends is interested in becoming a bird mom? Or perhaps you want a big flock of cheeckies and keep them all:lol:

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
He he he I have a feeling that might be what's going to happen....a big flock of cheekies! I will do more homework on nesting behaviors and such and of course get the babies dna'd so I know what's what to avoid any more cheekie babies in the future LOL I just adore them. I hope @SandraK is still around, too I'm trying to find some information on when I should expect them to come out of the nest box and how often I should interact with them at this point. I found some threads but it's difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? I'm currently putting Mom & Dad in another room when I visit with the babies. I don't want to overdue it and at the same time I want to make sure they won't be completely wild either. A happy medium is what I'm looking for, without stressing out the parents or the babies. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Oh and the first one hatched 1/22 and the last one 1/28, there are 4 babies total.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
No suggestions here I’m afraid, I know next to zero about baby birds lol! If the parents attack you if you touch the babies I think you are doing well on interacting with the babies while they are away!

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
My thinking was along the line of "what they don't know, won't bother them" LOL and it seems to be working so far. I don't want one of the babies getting hurt if Mom or Dad are redirecting any possible aggression towards them. I'll keep reading & will hopefully find some of the answers I'm looking for :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If you're able to take the babies out and handle them without being attacked by mom & dad it means they're comfortable with you handling them. As for coming out of the nest box, they each do it at their own pace (just like kids) but they usually start getting curious about the world outside the box when they're around 5-6 (?) weeks I think. Usually by then they're pretty much feathered and growing.

You'll know because you'll notice mom & dad hovering around the nest box opening. Or if someone has fallen out, there'll be a parent helicopter parenting around him (or her). Since they don't have the ability to pick a baby up and put it back in the nest box, be prepared to take on the position of nanny when this starts happening. Once they've discovered that there IS an outside world then you'll have to watch out! They will learn about flying and the lay of the land from mom & dad. Mirrors and large windows can be problems until they know not to fly into them.

I used old sheer curtains over mirrors or windows that posed a problem. You can also pretty much tape any simple patterns or small pieces of paper to windows so that the babies "see the window". Curled present ribbon that moves will also work.

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
Watch out for ceiling fans too!
I am so glad you're back @SandraK !! I really appreciate all your advice! I was starting to freak out honestly. One of the babies seemed quite weak and was barely holding it's head up for two or three days and I was very hesitant to interfere but I didn't want it to die or suffer either so I just bit the bullet and applied the little hand feeding techniques I knew from feeding baby chicks and it is making much better progress now!
I've been kind of playing it by ear and feeling and have been handling them twice a day the last 4 days. They are now not so scared when I reach in to get them out and they actually seem to enjoy being petted around the head :)

Mom is NOT allowing me to touch the babies while she is there but , I am allowed to look in the nest box but that's it. She has not been with me as long as mango has. She was a very aggressive bird when I first got her, so considering her past, she's amazingly sweet and tolerant and I'm ok with having to put her in another room, while I entertain the babies. Mango, the male bird, watches me but only in a helpful Daddy way if that makes sense.

Oh gee, I'm writing you a novel lol I'm sorry, I can't help it! No ceiling fans are allowed to be on when birds are out, my windows have blinds that I close half way, I will add some towels around the outside of the cage for when they start "falling out". Woohoo, bird nanny I love it!!!

Here are some pictures, taken yesterday - the oldest hatched 1/22, the youngest 1/28 (4 total):

20180217_095946.jpg
2nd oldest above

20180217_100310.jpg
1st hatched, trouble maker!

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
The first pictures is a cuteness overload with all those fluffs:faint:
I really don't know how I'm going to be able to let any of them go.. MBS has struck...there's no such thing as "too many" birds, right?? I have 3 kids that are old enough and WANT to help...how do you argue with that?? :p:D

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
One for Each of your kids and one for you!:lol: Though you Will still be the servant:master::D

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I am so glad you're back @SandraK !! I really appreciate all your advice! I was starting to freak out honestly. One of the babies seemed quite weak and was barely holding it's head up for two or three days and I was very hesitant to interfere but I didn't want it to die or suffer either so I just bit the bullet and applied the little hand feeding techniques I knew from feeding baby chicks and it is making much better progress now!
I've been kind of playing it by ear and feeling and have been handling them twice a day the last 4 days. They are now not so scared when I reach in to get them out and they actually seem to enjoy being petted around the head :)

Mom is NOT allowing me to touch the babies while she is there but , I am allowed to look in the nest box but that's it. She has not been with me as long as mango has. She was a very aggressive bird when I first got her, so considering her past, she's amazingly sweet and tolerant and I'm ok with having to put her in another room, while I entertain the babies. Mango, the male bird, watches me but only in a helpful Daddy way if that makes sense.

Oh gee, I'm writing you a novel lol I'm sorry, I can't help it! No ceiling fans are allowed to be on when birds are out, my windows have blinds that I close half way, I will add some towels around the outside of the cage for when they start "falling out". Woohoo, bird nanny I love it!!!

Here are some pictures, taken yesterday - the oldest hatched 1/22, the youngest 1/28 (4 total):

View attachment 269793
2nd oldest above

View attachment 269794
They don't stay still for very long do they? :angel4:

Does what I said about letting mom & dad raise them but you handle them make sense now? They know they're birds but they'll be used to people as they get older. Just keep in mind that, like children, just because they've grown up together and the same way it won't mean they'll all have the same attitude or approach to people.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

View attachment 269793
2nd oldest above

View attachment 269794
SUCH cuties! :heart: I'd love to play with those little darlings.

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
They don't stay still for very long do they? :angel4:

Does what I said about letting mom & dad raise them but you handle them make sense now? They know they're birds but they'll be used to people as they get older. Just keep in mind that, like children, just because they've grown up together and the same way it won't mean they'll all have the same attitude or approach to people.

That makes perfect sense now! It's amazing how I can already see different attitudes this young. I just adore these birds... I really appreciate your help and everyone's sweet comments. I won't mind at all to keep you guys updated with pictures if anyone would like to see their progress
Oh and here is one of the parents together - Jupiter is the black-capped conure ,(the female) and mango is the pineapple (male).

20180218_181217.jpg
20180217_165559.jpg

(The first picture was just taken a few minutes ago, Mango loves his cuddles)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
View attachment 269434
@SandraK
Fuzzies!! I'll upload more in the morning, I forgot I already downloaded them to the computer. They're beginning to look like real birds now and don't seem to mind getting love from Grandma's :D
How in the world am I going to let any of them go?? :dontgo::sad3:I don't want to be one of those annoying grandparronts that checks on them every day once they leave...:watching:
Looks like the little one is going to look like daddy .... going by the tail fedders.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really don't know how I'm going to be able to let any of them go.. MBS has struck...there's no such thing as "too many" birds, right?? I have 3 kids that are old enough and WANT to help...how do you argue with that?? :p:D
Keep them. I have the babies from Lucy & Ricky, my red-bellied pair.

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
Keep them. I have the babies from Lucy & Ricky, my red-bellied pair.
You are not helping! :lol: I think that's exactly what's going to happen though. Suddenly, I feel like the 2 homes I had lined up are just not "good enough"...I know that probably sounds terrible and they're really good people but they both work a lot of hours so I don't know how they'll be able to give them all the attention, interaction & love they will need (and not just for the honeymoon phase when it's still "new"). I suppose I better go Condo shopping for these babies....should they each have their own cage for bedtime or will they all get along to sleep together? I do plan on separating girls from boys when the time for babies comes. My husband has been very sweet & helpful but his sweetness will end if I end up having another oops and keep more babies, so I have to make very sure there are no "ooops's" in the future :angelic::)

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
Looks like the little one is going to look like daddy .... going by the tail fedders.
Yes indeed, the first hatched is looking like Daddy so far, the other 3 look mostly like mom. The last one seems to have a turquoise kind of color but it's still hard to tell until more feathers come in. The first one is also a brat, LOL very bossy and pushy and a busy body. Just like Dad! :bash::lol:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
At least sexing is easy! Any who appear like mom are males, any who appear like dad are females! I'm not sure if there's been any "pineapple black forest conures" out there.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You are not helping! :lol: I think that's exactly what's going to happen though. Suddenly, I feel like the 2 homes I had lined up are just not "good enough"...I know that probably sounds terrible and they're really good people but they both work a lot of hours so I don't know how they'll be able to give them all the attention, interaction & love they will need (and not just for the honeymoon phase when it's still "new"). I suppose I better go Condo shopping for these babies....should they each have their own cage for bedtime or will they all get along to sleep together? I do plan on separating girls from boys when the time for babies comes. My husband has been very sweet & helpful but his sweetness will end if I end up having another oops and keep more babies, so I have to make very sure there are no "ooops's" in the future :angelic::)
Start looking for fake eggs or let me know if you want me to get some at my local bird fair. You can still let mom & dad "have fun" but just switch out the real for the fake as soon as they're laid. And yes, one of the problems of being a grandparront is that all of a sudden, even the people you know and trust, who might have taken care of your fids when you went on vacation, aren't good enough to become parronts to your grandfids. Sounds silly, but boy is it true. The babies will be just like kids - they'll squabble, have fights and arguments but generally get along. It might change when they get into their bird teen and adult ages just like real kids and people. It's fun watching the circle of life isn't it?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can cage them together for awhile and then will have to split the males/females and if cagemates start getting aggressive towards one another you will have to split them up again. I wound up having to individually cage all of my red-bellies after many years of clutchmates being together.