• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help for cats that eat to fast - foraging for cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Stinker has a tendency to eat too fast. This leads to her throwing up all over the place. My s-i-l had the same problem with one of her cats and their vet had a suggestion. Place a tennis ball on top of the food. This forces the cat to forage for their food and slows them down.

Has Stinker completely stopped throwing up, well no. Has it cut down down how often she does it, yes. She is throwing up less than half what she used to. If you know that there is no other reason for your cat's vomiting you may want to give this a try. Please consult your vet to ensure there is no other reason for your cat's vomiting.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hey Mark, thanks for that suggestion. Miss Kitty gobbles her food up because she doesn't want Oliver kitty to get to it first and then she proceeds to yak all over the house. I just may try the tennis ball idea.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I forgot to mention that Stinker only gets dry cat food, I am not sure how this would work with wet food. I'm sure it would work but the tennis balls would it messy pretty fast.

Stinker is such a small cat you just wouldn't think this would be a problem. She tips the scale at a whole 8 lbs at 15 yrs old. But for 13 years she had a housemate, Mandy, that was close to 20 lbs and would not stick to any diet. Mandy, over the rainbow bridge now, was the trickiest cat when it came to food. :rofl:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Ive seen lots of dogs with food bowls that have stumps sticking out of the bottom of the bowl so its harder for them to eat so quickly....I will try to find a pic.....

Like that :)

Also you could try spreading the food on the floor instead of placing it in a bowl. Thats what we did at the Boarding Facility I ran when we had a guzzle guts dog.....It would work with cats too :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
:)Brigid: Feed your cats in separate rooms. Just a half hour or 45 minutes is all it takes to let them eat separately. It isn't that she is scarfing the food that's the problem; it is that the other cat pulls rank and takes it from her. Either that, or you or someone else needs to stand right beside her and defend her food until she is done. I have to do this for my oldest cat or the alpha male takes her food.

Another suggestion for cats who regurgitate after eating: smaller portions more often during the day. Less in the stomach to bring up; more retained for good nutrition. You could also offer oat or wheat grass once or twice a day between meals to help condition the stomach. Cats eat grass in the wild to clean and sweeten their stomachs. They also may regurgitate the grass and some mucous now and then, but it is better than seeing large amounts of food wasted.

Just practical suggestions for assisting your cats with getting proper nutrition and making your day easier.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
any suggestions for fast water drinkers? my friends cat will drink a whole bowl in a minute and pukes it up. so she's been giving her only a little bit of water for 20 secs at a time. she is a rescue cat. She got her about a month ago.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
any suggestions for fast water drinkers? my friends cat will drink a whole bowl in a minute and pukes it up. so she's been giving her only a little bit of water for 20 secs at a time. she is a rescue cat. She got her about a month ago.
I offer water all day in a feeder so they get all the water they want. They may be getting too thirsty. Also, try feeding room temperature water, as the cold can cause an upset tummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.