• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help...Carly is not acting right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
glad it was nothing serious

2 eggs in 3 months isn't all that bad :) - that does NOT make her a chronic egg layer if that's what your worrying about.

Does she even pay attention to the egg when she lays them?

I have a Quaker who lays one every few months and in the 2 yrs i've had her only paid attention to it one time and actually incubated it, normally she ignores it or uses it as a soccer ball and kicks it around the cage
No- she doesn't pay attention to them. She laid 3 eggs a few months ago and seemed to "nest" in her food dish (even though I provided a nesting box at that point) and then immediately went back into hormal behavior and started clucking again. I put this egg she laid back in her dish and she kicked it out.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
I think Ginger has a great post :) I just wanted to add onto it :)

I would say, no warm mushy foods should exclude STARCHES and carbohydrates in the means of: corn, potatoe, french fries, breads, etc. Do not give any of these, and no added sugars! No sip of the tea, no nibble on a donut, or pizza crust, no added fruits in her diet like apples, etc. However bananas are o.k, as its a holistic pain/cramp reliever for egg laying hens.

Cockatoos really dont need 12 hours or more of night. As they will lay even in the darkest times of the year. Most captive cockatoos started laying eggs around autumn and winter time, the darkest times of the year.

How do you HANDLE her? Cuddles? Body cuddles? Is she allowed to sleep or cuddle or snuggle UNDER a BLANKET? If you do any of these, stop it immediately. Only preen the head, not the body. If she starts to pant, pick her up and walk around with her, distract her, get her out of the mood. Do not walk away from her. With cockatoos, if you walk away from their wooes and signs of sexual affection, they will take it as failure. They feel rejected.

Do not remove the eggs until she is done laying. She will probably 1-2 more eggs.

I try not to encourage her clucking or hormonal behavior. I do only preen her head, we don't "cuddle" - she is out of her cage on a play stand most times and starts her panting/clucking if you even look at her sometimes. We don't pet under the wings, etc. in order to discourage her behavior. When she is hormonal she does go thru these stages of frustration of barbering on her back and plucking her legs.

As far as I know, when she was surrendered to the rescue that I adopted her from, part of it was because she was hormonal and they felt it was best if her homes were changed. She had begun the leg plucking in that previous home.

She laid 3 eggs a few months ago...I started a thread at that point because I had never experienced it before, but am unsure of the exact month. I just worry that 2 clutches of eggs in a short period of time & the constant hormones is putting stress on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.