• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP!! Budgie bitten by puppy no more tail puncture wound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
:( I very much doubt the bird will still be here Weds. The infection is raging unchecked in her, she has no antibiotics, not support care, nothing but good intentions and prayer. That's the point here. I'm glad you're full of sunshine, but no bird lover should :) about a slow painful death for a little life. That's not elitism, that's caring for animals. This isn't bashing, this is frustration and fear for her bird. This is an emergency situation and the mistake is one that happened before multiple times with the cats. The bird needs to be relinquished to get the care she needs, not held onto because it'll hurt the OP feelings. It's time to think about the BIRD and the BIRDS situation. Not hurt feelings.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I understand that you may not even be able to relinquish her without your parents help. We all want to help you help your little bird. Can you talk to your parents to see if they will allow you to let others help her? While I understand letting her go with others to receive care will be hard, you will remember that you were able to help her quickly. I still remember my little keet that I lost so long ago. We didn't have any money, living with relatives and no clue decades ago about taking birds to the vet. Before we moved, my mom asked me to leave Tweety with her friend. To this day, I wish I would have...

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
If you are willing to give the bird up and someone from the here is near you and can help with transportation, I will take her and get her the help she needs. I think Crystal is in upstate NY.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
May I suggest to the OP to have her parents read this thread. It might persuade them to get help for this poor bird.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:( I very much doubt the bird will still be here Weds. The infection is raging unchecked in her, she has no antibiotics, not support care, nothing but good intentions and prayer. That's the point here. I'm glad you're full of sunshine, but no bird lover should :) about a slow painful death for a little life. That's not elitism, that's caring for animals. This isn't bashing, this is frustration and fear for her bird. This is an emergency situation and the mistake is one that happened before multiple times with the cats. The bird needs to be relinquished to get the care she needs, not held onto because it'll hurt the OP feelings. It's time to think about the BIRD and the BIRDS situation. Not hurt feelings.
Amen. I wish I could like this a million times.

At the end of the day, we are here for the BIRDS. I don't care how nice you are, how much I like you, whatever....if I see you being cruel to an animal, it's on. And this IS cruelty. This bird is suffering and the OP has such a nonchalant tone about the situation. I get that the OP is a kid, but her hands aren't completely tied. Can't a friend drive you to a rescue?

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
oh no guys you misunderstand me, asking her to give up the ONE budgie who is hurt is perfectly fair and the fact that you all are offering to donate towards this bird is very heartwarming and all. it makes me happy to see some compassion.

my comment was in regards to the comment to rehome BOTH birds to keep the other from being attacked.

and perhaps this child has not been aware of the bacterial dangers of cats, but with the education she has been given, give her a chance to learn, dont just tell her to get rid of both because the other WILL get attacked inevitably. that i found rude and offensive and lacking any sort of understanding. let her LEARN from her own mistakes. im sure many bird owners here have made their own mistakes, and if they were told to get rid of ALL their birds because they arent given that chance to learn from that mistake.... well there would be no bird owners here. because we ALL make mistakes. it's learning from them and even learning from the worst situations that makes us better bird owners. give this girl that chance to learn. THATS what i was getting at.

giving this bird up to a rescue is a kind suggestion and offering to donate is even more kind. in a bad situation like this, yes a rescue is a good suggestion, but just for the injured one.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
hat i found rude and offensive and lacking any sort of understanding. let her LEARN from her own mistakes.
The fact that this budgie has been attacked twice before by cats indicates that the OP has not learned form past mistakes. The birds pay the price for this lesson.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
oh no guys you misunderstand me, asking her to give up the ONE budgie who is hurt is perfectly fair and the fact that you all are offering to donate towards this bird is very heartwarming and all. it makes me happy to see some compassion.

my comment was in regards to the comment to rehome BOTH birds to keep the other from being attacked.

and perhaps this child has not been aware of the bacterial dangers of cats, but with the education she has been given, give her a chance to learn, dont just tell her to get rid of both because the other WILL get attacked inevitably. that i found rude and offensive and lacking any sort of understanding. let her LEARN from her own mistakes. im sure many bird owners here have made their own mistakes, and if they were told to get rid of ALL their birds because they arent given that chance to learn from that mistake.... well there would be no bird owners here. because we ALL make mistakes. it's learning from them and even learning from the worst situations that makes us better bird owners. give this girl that chance to learn. THATS what i was getting at.

giving this bird up to a rescue is a kind suggestion and offering to donate is even more kind. in a bad situation like this, yes a rescue is a good suggestion, but just for the injured one.
But the attacks from cats/dogs have happened MULTIPLE times. The first time, I can let go. But over and over?? That's insane. Learn from your mistakes. It's only a matter of time before the quaker meets the same fate.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Barefoot Parrot- we have several people that are willing to help puddles. I am in Delaware. NY city is about a 3.5 hour drive for me. If someone here can help with transportation closer to me, PLEASE consider helping her by relinquishing her. We are not bashing you. We are here for the birds. She needs help and you are unable to give her the urgent care she needs.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt

it's learning from them and even learning from the worst situations that makes us better bird owners. give this girl that chance to learn. THATS what i was getting at.

You're right! Were you looking for a babysitter next weekend? I'll get you Casey Anthony's number.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
seriously, you STILL arent understanding my posts or not reading all of it and choosing what you want to hear.

she may not have KNOWN that BACTERIA was a deadly risk here, NOT EVERYONE KNOWS THAT! i sure as heck did not know that as a kid, and im sure many of you did not know either. if she didnt know bacteria is not a risk, then if there had been ATTEMPTS on this bird, she may not have known the risk.

give her a chance to LEARN now that she is aware. This situation might be an eye opener for her and her parents and could change things around

to say the OTHER is going to get attacked for sure is really harsh guys.

ive seen people here make a mistake and they get support and love. why? i dont know, really i dont. but when someone cant afford something, they are seen as below a lot of people here.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
seriously, you STILL arent understanding my posts or not reading all of it and choosing what you want to hear.

she may not have KNOWN that BACTERIA was a deadly risk here, NOT EVERYONE KNOWS THAT! i sure as heck did not know that as a kid, and im sure many of you did not know either. if she didnt know bacteria is not a risk, then if there had been ATTEMPTS on this bird, she may not have known the risk.

give her a chance to LEARN now that she is aware. This situation might be an eye opener for her and her parents and could change things around

ive seen people here make a mistake and they get support and love. why? i dont know, really i dont. but when someone cant afford something, they are seen as below a lot of people here.
Bacteria aside, the dogs and cats can kill a bird instantly. All it takes is a bite or scratch in the right spot and BOOM the bird is instantly dead. That's my argument here. They have been lucky in the past. That luck WILL run out.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block

You're right! Were you looking for a babysitter next weekend? I'll get you Casey Anthony's number.

this is what i mean, there is no reason for judgement or snarky remarks.

calm down. its YOU who is making the comments that i find offensive. sorry i was trying to not point out names before, but now i am going to be blunt, its your remarks, not everyone elses.

obviously no one is allowed mistakes. doesnt make a situation right or wrong. simple as that. but not allowing someone to learn once they are educated on something is rude.

now she has the education on cat and dogs, now give her the chance to learn from it. you can NOT blame lack of education and ignorance. you should teach these people, not be harsh to them.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
:huh: Even if she didn't know about the bacteria, seeing one of my animals attacked and injured by another is enough for me to go "I should probably be really careful my bird doesn't get eaten". Those were the first few mistakes that struck, that she did not learn from. The other point is, it's obvious that her parents aren't willing/don't have the funds to care for an emergency. That's not a good situation for a bird to be in if it gets sick or hurt in any way.

Glad you're looking on this poor budgies suffering as her learning experience, I think of it as a wake up call. There's not enough money to take care of the animal, she's said it herself that they can't vet all their animals, that means they should cut back so they can CARE for the animals the do have properl.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette

this is what i mean, there is no reason for judgement or snarky remarks.

calm down. its YOU who is making the comments that i find offensive. sorry i was trying to not point out names before, but now i am going to be blunt, its your remarks, not everyone elses.

obviously no one is allowed mistakes. doesnt make a situation right or wrong. simple as that. but not allowing someone to learn once they are educated on something is rude.

now she has the education on cat and dogs, now give her the chance to learn from it. you can NOT blame lack of education and ignorance. you should teach these people, not be harsh to them.
Sometimes it's more effective to light a fire under someone's butt than to blow sunshine up it. Maybe harshness is what this "kid" needs.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The fact that this budgie has been attacked twice before by cats indicates that the OP has not learned form past mistakes. The birds pay the price for this lesson.
Didn't know this. Even if the wounds heal, repeated attacks to this bird is not healthy mentally. What is your plan for the ongoing safety of your bird? We have all taken time to give you help, suggestions and a direction as we really do care about these wonderful animals. The suggestions are normal safety measures which so far seem to have your bird being the receiver of constant abuse and danger and she is no safer if once again she is attacked

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt

I'm sure everyone (even you) realizes that a cat's teeth & claws are dangerous, right? She didn't say Puddle survived being cuddled and licked by a cat two or three times, she said ATTACKED.

I don't think the issue is that she cannot afford vet care, the issue is that there doesn't seem to be much urgency in getting this resolved. A kid shouldn't be attempting to figure out how to save this animal, it should be the PARENTS and obviously the PARENTS either cannot or will not do what is needed for this animal. Why would they do what is right for any other animal?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dont think the side attacks is making this thread a warming place and opening a heart to rehome their bird, folks! Calm yourselves of your passion and use your brains! If someone was out to make me feel stupid and possibly break my heart more, would I listen to anyone even the helpful ones?! HELL NO! Would you?

So please, lets concentrate on the bird! Please?! I ••••ing have my •••• CC ready to help and the SWS is in 2 weeks?! Can I afford this? I dont want to but will if this bird gets help! I want it to get help! But these side attacks and belittling comments must stop! Please you guys?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
OK-I'm making a decision here to close this thread and let everyone calm down! We have given the OP lots of options for getting help for the Bird-Lets Pray She takes the Advice and that the bird gets help and recovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.