• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP!! Budgie bitten by puppy no more tail puncture wound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I will also make a donation if the bird is relinquished. I think you should consider take your quaker there, as well. Your home does not seem suitable for the well being of birds.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looks like internal damage and hemoraging. Its very painful. Like the worst menstruation and constipation and diarrhea of your life combine with a stomach flu. If you aren't able to take her to the vet, I think you need to take her to bird rescue so she can recieve the care she deserves, or be humanely euthanized. :hug8:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I will make a donation as well, if they are relinquished. Even aside from the injury, I think it is best you stick to cats and dogs as pets.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Puddle has perked up. When I went to see her she looked really good, she did a couple tiny sneezes, lost her balance for a split second and then looked fine. I think she's picking at it though. I put the cayenne stuff on her this morning. I'm not worried about the shock, I'm just worried about the infection. Puddle is a tough little bird, she has survived two or three cat attacks, I don't think any of them punctured her, but she is very rugged.

Would Tylan (in the correct dosage) be a good antibiotic for her? I'm just asking if anyone has ever given any to their bird, I don't want to be told how cruel I am or how I'm a terrible person or why we have so many animals and we can't take them to the vet every single time one of them gets the snuffles. I'm young, Ease up
I honestly don't know that giving Tylan to a little budgie would be appropriate. My German Shepherd dog is on Tylan to help with an overgrowth of bacteria in his intestines and if I recall from the research I did it is used more for dogs, cats and livestock.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
You really need to take her to vet or relinquish her to someone that will help her. SHE IS SUFFERING. SHE NEEDS HELP....NOW. No amount of Cayenne pepper is going to help. She is literally dying a slow death and that is cruel. Please, please make the decision for HER and not you.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'll use my credit card if she is relinquished to a bird rescue and they take her to the vet.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
PLEASE-PLEASE Remember-We are here to help-not to judge/criticize or make the OP feel any worse then she already does!!!!!Like has been said before-We are NOT all as wealthy or lucky as some of You-That does NOT mean that We care any less for Our Fids or other critters.WE are here to help and educate-That being said- I also believe the bird needs to be seen by a QAV-SO Lets try to get that done without ANY of the Negativity,and admonishments! OK!!!!!!!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
If there's not one near by, is there any way we can get some roadies to do a travel chain if the budgie is relinquished? I will be happy to help pay for gas as long as that little bird is having something done for her NOW. If nothing else, an end to her suffering quietly and humanely. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
OP, if you decide to take her to a rescue so she can recieve vet care, please PM me the rescue contact info,.and I'll help pay for vet care. :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That wound is very very bad, please do something for her. Im sorry this happened.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
PLEASE-PLEASE Remember-We are here to help-not to judge/criticize or make the OP feel any worse then she already does!!!!!Like has been said before-We are NOT all as wealthy or lucky as some of You-That does NOT mean that We care any less for Our Fids or other critters.WE are here to help and educate-That being said- I also believe the bird needs to be seen by a QAV-SO Lets try to get that done without ANY of the Negativity,and admonishments! OK!!!!!!!:hug8::hug8::hug8:
At this point, we're being honest and not blowing sunshine up anywhere. The bird is very very very hurt and suffering badly. The OP can't take her to a vet until Weds and is going to try home remedies until then wile the bird continues to suffer. A bird that has suffered multiple cat attacks in the past. What needs and should be done is pulling together, finding a rescue and getting the bird somewhere that CAN get it help. Yes, we all love our fids. But love won't stop the suffering right now.

andor

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Bonnie: Honestly, we're trying to help this budgie because this girl either cannot or won't. The best thing she can do for Puddles at this point is to relinquish her.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
We are helping. We are trying to tell her what's best for the bird. This is an urgent situation and it needs to be rectified today. This bird is going to die :(

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
woah guys, back onto the offensive again, cool your jets. telling her to rehome BOTH is sad. i am sorry but you are not giving this member a chance even to try to improve and learn from her mistake. havent YOU ever made a mistake, weren't you given that chance to learn from it? so remember, we all make mistakes. perhaps rehoming the hurt budge might be a kind action but to tell her to rehome the other just so it doesnt happen again is a bit harsh, let this member try to improve this situation.

barefoot parrot, from the droppings, i can tell you her kidneys are being compromised. infection is likely becoming systematic, and its affecting the kidneys first based on that being the closest organ to the injury. its not a good sign, but you need to support the kidneys until you can get her help. her chances are not good at this point. once an infection becomes systematic, its usually too late, but keep trying and praying :) for the kidneys, put some sugar free cranberry juice in her water just enough that it turns a light pink. or give a drop or two to the side of the beak, not in the beak just at the side for her to drink herself. you dont want to aspirate her :)

if you need some tips for the cat/dog and bird situation, i live with 4 cats and keeping the balance can be difficult. but yes, they should not be in the same room if your birds are out of their cages.

she is able to get the bird to the vet on wednesday, it is not ideal, but its better than nothing. ive seen countless members here who are more high standing needing help in dire situations like this and they are given nothing but e-hugs and support, yet someone else asks and they get condemned.

bird owning is not some elite club. :)

please note i mean well i am just tired of less fortunate members being bashed openly. it doesnt help anyone, or the bird.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
woah guys, back onto the offensive again, cool your jets. telling her to rehome BOTH is sad. i am sorry but you are not giving this member a chance even to try to improve and learn from her mistake.
I guess you missed the part where Puddles was attacked by a cat two or three times before this, huh?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
woah guys, back onto the offensive again, cool your jets. telling her to rehome BOTH is sad. i am sorry but you are not giving this member a chance even to try to improve and learn from her mistake. havent YOU ever made a mistake, weren't you given that chance to learn from it? so remember, we all make mistakes. perhaps rehoming the hurt budge might be a kind action but to tell her to rehome the other just so it doesnt happen again is a bit harsh, let this member try to improve this situation.

barefoot parrot, from the droppings, i can tell you her kidneys are being compromised. infection is likely becoming systematic, and its affecting the kidneys first based on that being the closest organ to the injury. its not a good sign, but you need to support the kidneys until you can get her help. her chances are not good at this point. once an infection becomes systematic, its usually too late, but keep trying and praying :) for the kidneys, put some sugar free cranberry juice in her water just enough that it turns a light pink. or give a drop or two to the side of the beak, not in the beak just at the side for her to drink herself. you dont want to aspirate her :)

if you need some tips for the cat/dog and bird situation, i live with 4 cats and keeping the balance can be difficult. but yes, they should not be in the same room if your birds are out of their cages.

she is able to get the bird to the vet on wednesday, it is not ideal, but its better than nothing. ive seen countless members here who are more high standing needing help in dire situations like this and they are given nothing but e-hugs and support, yet someone else asks and they get condemned.

bird owning is not some elite club. :)

please note i mean well i am just tired of less fortunate members being bashed openly. it doesnt help anyone, or the bird.
No one has EVER bashed her!! She asked for help and unfortenulty this isn't a situation where any of our help is going to work. The answer to the problem is simple: relinquish her it take her to a vet.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I am not saying anything that I would not expect to be said to me in the same situation. In fact, if an animal of mine were injured in this manner and I could not afford treatment, I would relinquish them so that they could be cared for. Sometimes the truth is not an easy thing to hear.

I've seen this multiple times in this thread and I have to admit I'm stumped. I've not seen this mentality on AA. I have seen people post tips on home-made toys and other money saving techniques for bird owners. Would you pm me some threads where this has happened or instances? I am by no means "well off" and would like to do many things better for my birds, but have never felt hostility here for my financial shortcomings.

Last edited:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
If your parents are unwilling to seek help, perhaps it is because they are uneducated about the severity of this type of wound. Maybe you should show them this thread and it will prompt them to take action.

Status
Not open for further replies.