• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP!! Budgie bitten by puppy no more tail puncture wound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
Puddle just flew off of my sister's shoulder, landed on the ground, the puppy got her tail, she was out of his mouth in about 6 seconds. Her tail feathers are gone, and she has a wound on her rump. It is scabbing nicely, but she is acting shellshocked. All fluffy and on two feet. Loss of balance and kind of wobbly. She is still eating, but I'm really worried about her. We might give her some medicated chick (baby chicken) food. Is that okay? She's acting all slow and weak. Does anyone think she'll make it? I'll give her a light for warmth tonight. PLEASE HELP I NEED ADVICE!!!!!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't wait,she could die from the shock.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would have to agree, she needs to see a vet ASAP to get the wound cleaned and properly tended to.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Even if she seemed 100% fine, a trip to the vet immediately is necessary. Dogs and cats contain bacteria that are toxic to birds. Puddle needs antibiotics ASAP. The fact that she's showing signs of distress means she also needs supportive care. Get her to the vet now, don't wait.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
How long do you think she has? We live in rural area so the vet is probably about 40min or more away
It's really hard to say. Loss of balance and wobbly means get there as soon as you possibly can.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
40 mins away? Please GO NOW!!!!!! Call them on your way that you have an emergency!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
She will likely make it there, but I'd leave ASAP. Shock and bacterial infection are serious.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would have left the moment it happened; every second can be vital. The sooner you leave and start driving, the sooner you will be there and hopefully be able to save her.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Any updates on this? Hope Puddle is OK

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Hope the little Budgie is OK :hug8:

A good reason to keep dogs and birds separate.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
I hope Puddle is doing good!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
get her to an avian vet ASAP........dog saliva is highly toxic..even if she looks and is acting ok..she will likely develop an infection..she needs antibiotics...stat..

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I hope you got there and everything is ok with the little one.:hug8:

Any puncture wound is an emergency.

When Merlin had her first seizure, I just scooped her up, put her in the carrier and called the vet on the way, also about a 40 minute drive. Sometimes that is just the best course to take to save time.

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
Well, she made it through the night, she is acting more normal, what can I put on her wound to help the infection? Saline solution? A warm bath? I'll do both. Right? We can't get her to a vet. I hate that, but we have a ton of animals, and we can't take them to the vet all the time, I want to, but we can't. I really need some advice

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
A puncture wound from a dog often leads to septic infection. She really should be seen.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This isn't exactly a routine visit :(

Here is what I was able to find.

While cat bites or scratches are more serious and more immediately life threatening to a bird, the bacteria in a dog’s mouth and paw nails can cause septicemia (blood borne infection) just as badly.
---

Anti-bacterial for Injury

Carefully rinse the wound with simple saline solution (like you rinse or moisten contact lenses with – not eye drops). Plain, warm water in a gentle stream is fine if no saline solution. Some people recommend ½ hydrogen peroxide and ½ water, but if the site is especially sensitive, this could just irritate the injury more
------------------------

Boric acid solution may be tried in order to control secondary infections: 1 tablespoon boric acid + 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil and then let cool.
------------------------

Applying a light, very thin coat of antibiotic ointment or cream (never a spray), such as Neosporin, may be helpful; however, if your bird is picking the area, ingestion of this med may cause crop upset.
------------------------

The use of hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, should be avoided. These are rather harsh for the tender skin of a bird and only used in special circumstances by veterinarians in treating avians.
---
For a makeshift brooder, if it seems the bird becomes too quiet or you feel that her feet are cold, her feathers continuously fluffed, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
---
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low

Read more: My dog bit my quaker parrot. My parrot has a small laceration - JustAnswer My dog bit my quaker parrot. My parrot has a small laceration - JustAnswer

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Topical antibiotics will help, but the infection from a bite is likely to become systemic quickly. Call your vet and tell them what happened. Tell them you are unable to bring her in and ask if there is a specific antibiotic they use after birds get bit by dogs. See if they will prescribe it. This bird really needs more help than you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.