• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP!! BROKEN TAIL FEATHER!?

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Tweety is in between laying batch's of eggs & she's been running around the cage like crazy & she's been losing some feathers & her tail feather last night looked like it was going to fall out (she always has 2 tail feathers at a time) so I was waiting for her to clean herself & finish getting the tail feather lose but she hasn't lost it or picked at it & now looking at it it looks like its broken 3/4 of the way up!? What do I do!? Do I pull it or no? This hasn't happened before WP_20180521_13_26_08_Pro.jpg WP_20180521_13_26_14_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Leave it, she'll pick it off herself.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully it will fall off on its own or she'll pull it off. Try not to pull it although if it is causing her issues/bothering her you may have to do that.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Leave it be, she'll take care of it herself.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Hopefully it will fall off on its own or she'll pull it off. Try not to pull it although if it is causing her issues/bothering her you may have to do that.
I took her in the bathroom & steamed her so she would clean/fix her feathers & she avoided cleaning/touching her tail. She chips like crazy & seems to be happy besides when she goes to fly & doesn't fly straight :(

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Well she ran around enough to brake off the 3/4 part of it so now she has about a 1 inch stub & half of a tail feather that's growing in

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
It'll stay like that until she molts, so you won't see a new feather until the old one falls out but she'll be okay.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Don't pull it. If it's annoying you or her, just snip it off at the break with scissors.. or she will probably chew it off there on her own eventually. She won't loose the stub until the next molt.. meaning she will be going around with just 1 long tail feather for a few months, but she will be fine. Pulling a large feather like that is painful and runs the risk of damaging the follicle, causing ingrown feathers later.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I would leave it like everyone else stated. I leave them on my teils when it happens to them and they will take care of it