• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help! Bald spot on back of head/neck?

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
Any idea why her feathers on her head are like this? I thought perhaps she was molting them but nothing new seems to come in. It’s just down. She’s not with any other birds and her behavior is nothing out of the ordinary. She’s even more mischievous, if anything. I’m calling the vet tomorrow but I’m getting really worried.

CE2E5A16-2DF3-48B9-A1FE-A93536715E8D.jpeg

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
When a bird starts heavily losing feathers in the head and neck area, it's best to see an avian vet because there are some serious diseases that can cause feather loss on the head and/or neck. They include Avian Polyomavirus; PBFD/Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease; Pacheco’s Disease (and in some circumstances, Chlamydophila/Psittacosis).

Mites, lice, and other parasites can also cause feather loss. If you examine your bird very carefully, you may be able to see these tiny bugs. Skin infections can also be to blame. If he is rubbing his head and neck on perches, cage bars, or anything else, that's a sign of itching. That could mean there's either an infection or a parasite. There are also internal parasites, such as worms or protozoans, that can cause feather loss.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there anything she could have rubbed against? That would be my guess.

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
No rubbing that I’ve noticed. My main guess is parasites since she hasn’t had contact w other birds since I first got her over a year ago. I did have a pretty bad gnat problem in my apartment until recently. They started going for her fresh food and I had to move her stand to the bedroom. I wonder if they were bothering her.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
No rubbing that I’ve noticed. My main guess is parasites since she hasn’t had contact w other birds since I first got her over a year ago. I did have a pretty bad gnat problem in my apartment until recently. They started going for her fresh food and I had to move her stand to the bedroom. I wonder if they were bothering her.
Hard to say without throrough examination.
Vet can do that for you. And if it is the case, then a topical spray for you bird might be suggested to ease the itch.

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
Update: vet thinks she might have rubbed her head on something and frayed/broken the feathers. The ends of the quills are still there, which is why nothing new has grown in. He says it’s not likely it’s serious unless it gets worse and that she should just molt them in the coming months.