• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Am I doing something wrong???

Sherrie

Meeting neighbors
Toots is my single gal Parrotlet, but she keeps laying eggs. Not on a "regular" basis, but often enough to concern me. This time she has actually laid a clutch of 2 and is not walking away from them for more than a few seconds. I'm so worried about her becoming egg bound or that she is sick. Advice anyone?

Sherrie

Meeting neighbors
Someone asked me what I was feeding her:

She gets Volkman Parrotlet as a "staple", but I supplement it daily with whole grain and multi-grain bread and pasta, white and brown rice, oatmeal, veggies like peas(her favorite) broccoli, carrots, zucchini, cucumber, beans (edamame and garbanzos are her favorites) romaine lettuce and field greens, bits of boiled egg (whites only), fruits like banana and apple. She doesn't care for citrus of any kind.

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Hi, are you taking the eggs away or leaving them until she gets bored?

We made the mistake of taking eggs away from our Amazon. She would lay them again after a few days/weeks. Then we found out we should have left her to lay a clutch, sit on them and then get bored of them and break them or abandon them on her own.

She didn't lay anymore after we'd done this.

We did put a calcium supplement in her water while she was laying because it takes so much energy.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I used to raise parrotlets with a similar diet. She should ve fine although you should keep an eye on here.

Let her keep her eggs until she tires of them as was suggested.. Parrotlets typically lay about five or six eggs and will lay one every other day until they are finished laying.

Does she have a dark nesting area? If she laid eggs there then leave them for now. But take it away after she is done. It could be several weeks. It would take about three weeks for eggs to hatch so if she decides to wait it out she may sit on them for a month or she may give up sooner.

Grace

Meeting neighbors
The number of hours of daylight can induce a bird to lay. If you are not already doing this, she needs 12 hours of darkness. Also, does she have a cuttlebone in her cage?