• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! 8 weeks eclectus regurgitate

Lexiekkie

Moving in
Real Name
Hey, so one and a half week ago I bought my first eclectus, Lexi which then was 6.5 weeks old, I built homemade brooder for her with temperature and humidity monitor, now I put her between 31-33c, the first day I bought her I tried feeding her with a formula and she regurgitated, I didn’t know if it was fine so I asked the breeder about it and he said that it’s ok and they just like to play with the food and it’s fine, anyway couple days that I fed her 10% of her bodyweight with formula while monitoring ger weight which goes up everyday normally and now in the age of 8 weeks she is 388 grams, now one day that I fed her she kinda refused to eat the formula so I asked the breeder what to do and he told me to force her because I’m like her mother and I should teach her to eat properly, now everday she regurgitated after feeding and even 2-3 hours after feeding, I feed her 3 times a day btw, any way I tried force feeding her with a syringe and she refused and I force it on her and held her head and she ate but then she snizzed formula out of her nostrils I then freaked out called an avian vet and made an appointment, I told them she regurgitate all the time and she snizzed formula, so the checked her and told me they don’t see anything unusual, oh and btw she does a lot of sounds while feeding and all time, so the avian vet gave me batryl 2% and told me it’s for her snizzing problem and I should give it to her for a week if she keep snizzing, and gave me nystatin for the regurgitating and told me to give it for a week if it keeps happening, anyway I already finished giving her the batryl and I see improvement in her, I decided to give her the nystatin too some days after starting the batryl, now I check her crop every morning and it’s empty which means it’s probably not sour crop, but I don’t see any improvement with the regurgitation problem, I even bought a couple of days ago a temp monitor for the formula and give it to her with a spoon so she would eat better, and between each feeding of the day I wait 6-7 hours and the crop is still not fully empty, only in the morning 10 hours approximately after it empties completely, now she still regurgitate and I don’t know if nystatin even helps with it, so my main problems is with the regurgitating and the crop not fully emptying between each feed, I now give her 38cc of formula on each feed, the breeder also told me that her brother in her age regurgitate too and it’s normal, oh and I mostly worry about the regurgitation because before she regurgitate she make sounds like she’s suffering , and she even lost a couple of down feathers in the crop area which the breeder says it’s okay because she grow feathers, but other than that she is energetic and looks healthy, please help me.

I attached photos of her and of the crop area too. IMG_8961.jpeg IMG_8961.jpeg IMG_8974.jpeg IMG_8960.jpeg IMG_8947.jpeg IMG_8943.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow, I'm sorry you're having issues! I'm not familiar with feeding babies; is there anyone else you can reach out to for handfeeding help? Or can you let the breeder finish the job and let them wean her first? You do not need to handfeed a bird to bond with it, and this sounds really stressful!

Lexiekkie

Moving in
Real Name
Wow, I'm sorry you're having issues! I'm not familiar with feeding babies; is there anyone else you can reach out to for handfeeding help? Or can you let the breeder finish the job and let them wean her first? You do not need to handfeed a bird to bond with it, and this sounds really stressful!
I have no one to reach out to and the breeder would never take her back, It is indeed very stressful to raise her and I am really regretting buying unweaned baby, but I do everything I can for her good.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Lots of people are currently at work I imagine! After holidays are hard because people are getting back into the swing of "normal" life. A lot of our more knowledgeable breeders sadly haven't logged in in a while. :(

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Cute baby, what an e.t. pic that one is!

When I was reading on baby parrots of different species, on their quirks . This article mentions that hand feeding should go very slow for eclectus taking ten minutes or more at a feeding. Incase you find that interesting I will link. Unfortunately it didn't have much more to say

Lexiekkie

Moving in
Real Name
Cute baby, what an e.t. pic that one is!

When I was reading on baby parrots of different species, on their quirks . This article mentions that hand feeding should go very slow for eclectus taking ten minutes or more at a feeding. Incase you find that interesting I will link. Unfortunately it didn't have much more to say
Yea feeding is very slow with her, I started giving her with a spoon and man it’s even slower and messier, takes at least 20 minutes feeding her that 38cc.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
38 ml seems like a lot st one time , but I'm not a baby raiser

Can you reduce the amount? Is she exploring foods on her own?

Lexiekkie

Moving in
Real Name
38 ml seems like a lot st one time , but I'm not a baby raiser

Can you reduce the amount? Is she exploring foods on her own?
I know it sounds a lot but it’s 10% of her weight so it should be right, she dig a lot in the wood shavings with her beak and then she does motion like eating it then dumping it so i don’t know if it’s a sign of her exploring food or just playing with it.